Archive for July 2010

[ecrea] Call for Papers: Journal of Chinese Cinemas

Thu Jul 29 21:19:06 GMT 2010

>Call for Papers: Journal of Chinese Cinemas
>(<http://bit.ly/9wEf6E>http://bit.ly/9wEf6E)
>
>Special Issue on From Diasporic Cinemas to Sinophone Cinemas
>
>Guest Editors: Audrey Yue and Olivia Khoo
>
> From the critical and popular acclaim of Ang
> Lees Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (2000) to
> the Asian Australian success of Tony Ayress
> The Home Song Stories (2007), diasporic Chinese
> cinemas have created new filmic sites and
> visual practices that engage the complex
> relations between the constructs of China,
> Chinese and Chineseness. While the notion
> of diaspora has broadened these concepts to new
> areas and new objects of inquiry, Chineseness
> remains largely a question of ethnicity, bound to nationality.
>
>In Visuality and Identity: Sinophone
>Articulations Across the Pacific, Shu-mei Shih
>(2007) invokes the notion of the Sinophone to
>respond to the expiry date of the Chinese
>diaspora as second and third generations become
>more localized. As a critical concept, the
>Sinophone removes the emphasis on ethnicity and
>nationality, and instead highlights communities
>of Sinitic language cultures spoken and used
>outside China and on the margins of China and
>Chineseness. The Sinophone network connects new
>visualities and communities that have emerged as
>a result of global capitalism; it critiques home
>and host cultures, reflecting multi-accented,
>multilingual histories of transnational migration.
>
>This special issue, edited by Audrey Yue and
>Olivia Khoo, focuses on the new cinemas
>emanating from the Sinophone network, and is
>scheduled for publication in early 2012. The
>editors of the special issue now invite abstract
>submissions of 250-300 words on any of the following aspects:
>
>§ the political economy of Sinophone film
>production, distribution, consumption and regulation;
>§ cinematic practices of Sinophone resistance, complicity and transformation;
>§ Sinophone communities as sites of cultural production;
>§ new Sinophone visual economies and cultures;
>§ examples of multilingual, multidialect or
>multi-accented Sinophone cinema in their
>historical, social or cultural contexts;
>§ comparative Sinophone film studies;
>§ papers in defense of diasporic Chinese
>cinema frameworks and critiquing the Sinophone model.
>
>Each abstract should:
>·     include your name, email and postal address, and institution;
>·     offer a summary of how your proposed essay
>engages the critical framework of Sinophone cinema.
>Important dates:
>·     Deadline for abstract submissions: 1 December 2010
>
>·     Acceptance notice: 15 January 2011
>
>·     Deadline for paper (6000-8000 words) submission: 1 June 2011
>
>Abstract submissions (as word documents by email
>attachment) to: Audrey Yue (University of
>Melbourne, Australia): <(aisy /at/ unimelb.edu.htm)>(aisy /at/ unimelb.edu.au)
>
>Contact for journal information: Song Hwee Lim
>(Chief Editor, Journal of Chinese Cinemas):
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885