Archive for July 2010

[ecrea] FTA Announcement #8: scholarships, FTA community, new books and tools

Thu Jul 29 10:48:54 GMT 2010

> From the Free Knowledge Institute about the Free Technology Academy
>
>Permanent link: http://ftacademy.eu/announce/8
>
>FTA Announcement #8: scholarships, FTA community, new books and tools
>---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>
>1. New FTA materials
>2. FTA Scholarships for September
>3. Annotation-tools and feedback
>4. FTA Community Portal
>5. Obtaining an official Master's degree
>6. Print on Demand service for FTA course books
>7. FTA Certificates
>
>=3D=3D 1. New FTA materials =3D=3D
>
>The FTA is proud to announce the availability of two new coursebooks,
>both under a free Copyleft license: "Open Networks" and "Legal aspects
>of the Information Society".
>
>"Open Networks" is part of the module "Network Technologies" and was
>written by Enric Peig Oliv=E9. This coursebook explores the different
>aspects of open technologies that are at the foundations of modern
>computer networks. The Internet is built on top of open protocols and
>open standards.
>
>In this context, "open" means the opposite of "private". Private
>networks are those which belong to companies or institutions who impose
>restrictions on users who join them. Open networks do not belong to
>anybody because the devices they use are made available by the members
>of the community.
>
>You can get a copy of the coursebook here:
>http://ftacademy.org/materials/fsm/3#1
>

>"Legal Aspects of the Information Society" is the title of the second
>coursebook we have recently published. Its authors are Malcolm Bain,
>Manuel Gallego, Manuel Mart=EDnez Ribas and Judit Rius. The book
>contains fundamental information for those who want to understand Free
>Software and how to contribute and benefit from it in a safe and legal
>way. Concepts like existing legal systems of software protection -
>copyright, patents, trademark and key concepts like Copyleft and free
>licenses - will provide a general background upon which practical
>skills for different contexts can be built.
>
>You can get a copy of the coursebook here:
>http://ftacademy.org/materials/fsm/6#1
>
>=3D=3D 2. FTA Scholarships for September =3D=3D
>
>The first phase of the FTA is financially supported by the Life Long
>Learning programme (LLP) of the European Commission. While the FTA has
>already exceeded the target for the European Commission in terms of
>courses and learners, we have extra space available for learners who
>wish to enhance their knowledge but are not in a position to raise the
>required tuition fee. For this reason we have set up a scholarship
>programme for the third and last course round during this phase, that
>will run from September 6 2010 to December 6 2010.
>
>Of course the FTA continues in 2011. For the tentative programme,
>please see http://ftacademy.org/programme/2011. No scholarships for
>2011 are being scheduled at this time.

> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885