Archive for February 2010

[ecrea] partners for EUROCORES programme

Mon Feb 22 19:13:24 GMT 2010

At the University of Rijeka, Croatia, we are putting together a project proposal under the ESF EUROCORES Programme (EuroUnderstanding - Understanding and Misunderstanding: Cognition,Communication and Culture; see http://www.esf.org/eurounderstanding). The title of our project is: Cognitive Neurodynamics of Embodied Conceptual Understanding.

We are trying to set up a network of research teams, focusing on specific topics within our field of interest (e.g. 'social meaning'). However, complementary topics are also welcome.

We would specially be interested in contributions pertaining to the field of cognitive cultural studies.

Partners and ideas are welcome. Brief structure of our outline proposal is right below. If you are interested to participate, contact me at (marina.biti /at/ ri.t-com.hr) for more info.

Marina Biti

_____________________________

Cognitive Neurodynamics of Embodied Conceptual Understanding

1. Embodied understanding at the individual level

1.1.Embodiment of conceptual mechanisms

1.2. Embodiment of language

2.       Embodied understanding at the social level

2.1. The 'social brain'

2.1. Discursive practices and the 'social meaning'

3.      Methodology

Computer simulations.

Cognitive experiments.

Conceptual integration networks

Contextualised analysis.

Culture-based interpretation.

Contribution to the overall objectives of the programme EuroUnderstanding

The proposed project will delineate cognitive and neural mechanisms
responsible for perceptual and social simulation which are believed to be
important components of understanding. Investigated mechanisms might
contribute to discovery of conditions which facilitate understanding.

The proposed project may also shed new light on the issue of
misunderstanding. With the emphasis on the interaction between sensory and
motor experiences and conceptual knowledge the proposed neural models and
conceptual outcomes will explain how exposure to different contexts and
environments might lead to a variety of conceptual structures. Differences
in dynamic (on-line) conceptual structures might lead to the
misunderstanding while individuals communicate to each other. Differences in
global (long-lasting) conceptual structures might cause misunderstanding
amongst cultures and nations.