Archive for February 2010

[ecrea] Call for papers: World Science Fiction Convention Academic Programming

Fri Feb 12 05:36:03 GMT 2010

Call for papers: World Science Fiction Convention Academic Programming
Aussiecon 4: 68th World Science Fiction Convention
September 2nd - 6th, 2010
Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, Australia

The many uses of science fiction

Why do we study science fiction (SF)? Why do we read it, write about it? What uses do we put these readings and writings to? As the critical fields intersecting with science fiction grow ever broader, SF is called on to perform all kinds of cultural and theoretical work. It is claimed as an ideal source for reading cultural histories of western technoscience, of thinking through the sociological and philosophical challenges of science studies, and as revealing of the destabilising of humanism emerging in animal studies and the ?posthumanities? more generally. What does all this work mean for critical theory in the twenty first century, and our understanding of the place of science fiction studies within more canonical fields of cultural enquiry? And what, if any are the implications for SF as a genre, marketing category, and as a community of readers?

The theme of Aussiecon 4's Academic Program is the study of SF, broadly framed: why and how we read it as critics, academics and fans and what use/s we put these readings to. We invite papers reflecting on science fiction studies and its relation to other critical fields, including (but not limited to) cultural studies, media studies, fan studies, science and literature studies, ecocriticism, science communication and animal studies. We welcome analyses of the political implications of race, gender, sexuality, and class on such criticism and its intersection with questions of social democracy, ethics, and environmental politics. Also of interest is the impact of such work on popular and mainstream conceptions of science fiction, and on its potential (and future) audience.

Please send Abstracts  by May 31st 2010

Submissions and enquires should be directed to the Academic co-conveners, Dr Helen Merrick & Professor Andrew Milner at <(academic /at/ aussiecon4.org.au)>

Submissions should include:
·       title of paper;
·       name & affiliation;
·       email address;
·       150 word abstract;
·       short biographical statement;
·       AV requirements

More information about Aussiecon 4, including membership rates can be found at:
 http://www.aussiecon4.org.au/

--

  Professor Andrew Milner
  Centre for Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies

  Phone: (61) (3) 9905 2979
  Fax: (61) (3) 9905 5593
  Email: (Andrew.Milner /at/ arts.monash.edu.au)
  Homepage:
    http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/ecps/people/andrew-milner/