Archive for February 2010

[ecrea] Connect/ Reconnect/ Disconnect: Political and Popular Culture, New Media and the Future of Civic Engagement

Wed Feb 10 11:56:38 GMT 2010

DEADLINE : 5 March 2010

Connect/ Reconnect/ Disconnect
Political and popular culture, new media and the future of civic engagement

4th Annual PhD Conference, Institute of Communications Studies, University of Leeds, UK, June 29th, 2010 ? 9.00 am to 5.00 pm

We frequently divide civil culture and popular culture, but new media thrives on the creation of relationships. The civil and the popular are no exception. The conference looks to explore how new media spaces connect/reconnect/disconnect across all boundaries, especially civic and popular boundaries.

The conference invites papers that tackle the role of new media in all spaces that involve the civic and the popular. We invite any and all disciplines to connect/reconnect/disconnect with the term new media in deciding how we are actually engaging with civil and popular culture spaces online and in our new/old and augmented/unchanged reality.

Indicative conference themes:
- Online journalism and the blogosphere
- Mobile connectivity at local, regional, national and/or supranational levels
- Online social and political networking
- Popular culture and transnational communities in new media spaces
- Civil disobedience and regulation in new media
- How new media has changed/reinforced/influenced popular culture and its traditions - The future of social and/or civil spaces created by technology and/or global populations

Submission process:
This conference invites abstracts from any discipline willing to use our current body of knowledge to address these questions.

Abstracts should be limited to 250 words in length and include the title of the proposed paper as well as an overview of the topic covered. Please also specify the author?s name, institution and email address and send the abstract to <mailto:(ics-pg-conference /at/ leeds.ac.uk)>(ics-pg-conference /at/ leeds.ac.uk)

The deadline for submission is March 5th, 2010.
Abstracts will be assessed and you will be informed by March 29th, 2010 if it has been accepted or not.

Registration:
Online registration will be available from Feb 8th, 2010

Key Dates:
Abstracts deadline: March 5th, 2010
Acceptance: March 29th, 2010
Conference: June 29th, 2010

Twitter: <http://twitter.com/ICSCon>http://twitter.com/ICSCon
Institute of Communications Studies, Houldsworth Building, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, Tel: +44 (0)113 343 88 59

On behalf of the Organizing Committee
ICS Postgraduate Conference 2010