Archive for May 2008

[ecrea] EUROPEANISED AFTER ALL: European publics in the EU communicative space

Tue May 27 01:22:57 GMT 2008

>CALL FOR PAPERS
>

>EUROPEANISED AFTER ALL: European publics in the EU communicative space
>

>Edited by Chiara Valentini (University of
>Jyväskylä, Finland) and Giorgia Nesti (University of Padua, Italy)
>

>Proposals are invited for a collection that
>examines the EU and different communication
>actions towards, with, by different publics.
>Communicating the EU, its institutions, policies
>and achievements should not only be perceived as
>a top-down strategy, that is from the EU to its
>publics. Several interesting cases of bottom-up
>communication activities - from a public towards
>the EU - have shown to be of a great assistance
>to existing EU information and communication
>actions. In this respect, we are interested in
>presenting a portray of information and
>communication activities planned and/or already
>developed both by the EU institutions at the
>European, national and local levels and by
>private and public organizations and civil
>society actors. The intent is to analyse and
>discuss past, present and future actions,
>campaigns, initiatives from the perspectives of
>several EU countries. We welcome contributions
>from different theoretical perspectives and
>fields of study, including but not limited to
>political and intercultural communications,
>public relations and management, organizational
>studies, psychology, sociology and cultural
>studies. This book attempts to present different
>facades of EU communications within
>multi-national and multi-theoretical frameworks.
>

>Potential topics include (but are not limited to):
>

>-          EU communication and information
>policies: we are interested in contributions
>that describe historical developments in the EU
>information and communication policies from the
>early stages of integration until recent events
>(the Plan D, the White Paper on Communication,
>etc..) but also in theoretical analyses
>investigating EU communication strategies.
>

>-          EU web communication (communications
>with citizens via web 2.0, such as blogs and
>other online media tools): the diffusion of ICTs
>and recent developments in the internet
>structure have opened up for new innovative
>forms of political interaction and
>participation. EU institutions are employing the
>web 2.0 to test new tools for communicating with
>citizens, such as EUtube, blogs, forum, etc.
>Besides, even more interesting experiences of
>Europeanization through the web are spreading
>from below, thanks to citizens willingness of
>creating their own actions. Papers dealing with
>this topic should describe and critically assess
>EU initiatives on the web 2.0 and/or any
>relevant case study of online activities
>developed at the local/national or at the
>trans-national levels specifically aiming at
>creating an European public sphere.
>

>-          EU media relations (communications
>with/towards journalists/media): A discussion of
>EU policies and activities launched in the last
>5-6 years for attracting national media
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/