Archive for May 2008

[ecrea] Heavy Fundamentalism - Music, metal and politics

Wed Apr 30 21:52:16 GMT 2008

>Heavy Fundametalism: Music, metal and Politics
>
>Monday 3rd November - Wednesday 5th November 2008
>Salzburg, Austria
>
>Call for Papers
>It is about time, that with a growing critical
>interest in the music and culture of heavy metal,
>a conference be held to explore, critique
>and bang heads on what this long standing movement
>is about, where it is going and what it has to
>offer, politically, socially and philosophically.
>Characterised by extremes, it is a music movement
>that has a range of lifestyles attached to it,
>comprising of quite disparate and radically
>different views amongst both fans and its
>progenitors. Recent publications such as Bill
>Irwin's edited Metallica and Philosophy: A Crash
>Course in Brain Surgery (2007), documentary films
>and past texts such as Deena Weinstein's 1991
>Sociological study Heavy Metal The Music and its
>Culture and Keith Kahn Harris' Metal Studies
>site indicate a continuous, serious interest in
>Heavy Metal.
>
>Submissions are welcome on any of the following
>themes: Heavy Metal and:
>
>- Origins, Definition and History
>- Genres and classification. Classical music/Opera
>- Culture - Subculture - Underground - Popular
>Culture - Fans
>- Religion - anti religion - Evil - Satanism
>- Politics - Nationalism - the apolitical - Fascism
>- Imagery - Iconography - Aesthetics
>- Art - Design - Fashion - Performance - Theatre -
>Sleeve Art
>- Gender Issues - Misogyny - Homo sociality -
>Masculinities - Deviant Sexualities
>- Monsters - Madness
>- Philosophical themes: Existentialism - Nihilism
>- Hedonism - Ethics
>- Literature - Cinema - Documentaries -
>Soundtracks - Horror - Gothic -
>Anime - Cartoons
>- Fashion
>
>Papers will be considered on any related theme.
>300 word abstracts should be submitted by Friday 13th June 2008. If
>your paper is accepted for presentation at the conference, an 8 page
>draft paper should be submitted by Friday 10th October 2008.
>
>300 word abstracts should be submitted
>simultaneously to both Organising
>Chairs; abstracts may be in Word, WordPerfect, or
>RTF formats with the following information and in this order:
>
>a) author(s), b) affiliation, c) email address, d)
>title of abstract, e)
>body of abstract.
>
>Please use plain text (Times Roman 12) and abstain
>from using footnotes and any special formatting, characters or emphasis
>(such as bold, italics or underline). We acknowledge receipt and
>answer to all paper proposals submitted. If you do not receive a reply
>from us in a week you should assume we did not receive your proposal; it
>might be lost in cyberspace! We suggest, then, to look for an
>alternative electronic route or resend.
>
>Niall Scott
>Centre for Professional ethics
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/