[ecrea] Fwd: News Release: International Media Conference-Windsor

Sun Mar 18 09:41:30 GMT 2007

>NEWS RELEASE:  March 16, 2007
>
>Major International Media Conference Coming To Windsor
>Chomsky, Herman, Goodman, McChesney, Jhally, K'naan (& more) Among
>Internationally Renowned Media Scholars and Journalists to Attend Event
>
>(See: <http://www.uwindsor.ca/propaganda>www.uwindsor.ca/propaganda)
>
>20 Years of Propaganda?
>Critical Evidence and Discussion Regarding the
>Ongoing Relevance of the Herman & Chomsky Propaganda Model
>

>Internationally renown media scholars and
>journalists (Noam Chomsky, Edward Herman, Amy
>Goodman, Sut Jhally, Robert McChesney, Judy
>Rebick, Antonia Zerbisias, Robert Hackett, Peter
>Phillips, Robert Jensen, John Downing and many
>more), and Juno Award winning musical guest
>K'naan will be coming to Windsor (Canada) for a
>special media conference May 15-17, 2007 (see
>brief biographical information below).
>
>This special conference 20 Years of Propaganda?
>(See:
><http://www.uwindsor.ca/propaganda>www.uwindsor.ca/propaganda),
>hosted by the University of Windsor
>Communication Studies Program, will mark the
>20th Anniversary of the publishing of the book
>Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of
>Mass Communication (Edward Herman and Noam
>Chomsky, Pantheon, 1988/2001), by critically
>examining ongoing relevance of the Propaganda
>Model (Five Filters: ownership, advertising,
>sources, flak, ideology) as a way of
>understanding and improving 21st century media and society.
>
>Conference Chair and University of Windsor
>Communication Studies Professor, Dr. Paul Boin,
>states  "I've been overwhelmed by amount of
>international interest that this event has
>drawn. The conference is shaping up wonderfully,
>and will likely be one of the most significant
>international gatherings that the University of
>Windsor has ever had." Media scholars hailing
>from South Africa to Latin America, from Europe
>to Japan, and throughout the US and Canada will
>be in attendance. "This conference provides a
>unique opportunity for some of the foremost
>media scholars in the world to engage in a
>critical and multi-disciplinary analysis and
>debate of our present media system, and to
>propose solutions for positive media and democratic change."
>
>While the conference itself has a limited
>registration (register via
><http://www.uwindsor.ca/propaganda>www.uwindsor.ca/propaganda),
>approximately 1,000 additional tickets will be
>made available to the public for the final night
>(May 17, 2007) of the conference where Noam
>Chomsky will be speaking and K'nann performing
>at the St. Clair Centre for the Arts (formerly
>the Cleary/Chrysler Theatre). For these tickets
>call the St. Clair/Chrysler Box office:
>800-387-9181 (local Tel: 519-252-6579) [Tickets
>for Noam Chomsky are $24.50 (5:00PM, Thur. May
>17), Tickets for K'naan are $18.50 (8:15PM,
>Thur. May 17). Conference registrants have these
>tickets included in their registration fee]
>
>The Conference Will be Featuring:

> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
NEW BOOK: Researching media, democracy and participation.
The intellectual work of the 2006 European media
and communication doctoral summer school.
Available at: http://young.meso.ee/?q=node/54
ICA 2007 Conference [Theme] website @
http://www.vub.ac.be/icatheme07/
!!!!!!NEW!!!!!!!!
Free ECREA Communication Doctoral Summer School Book
"Researching media, democracy and participation" at:
http://www.comsummerschool.org/
---
ECREA Book Series publication
"Reclaiming the Media"
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/ppbooks.php?isbn81841501635
with in the body of the message (NOT in the subject): unsubscribe ecrea
Postal address: ECREA - P.O. Box 106, B-1210 Brussels 21, Belgium
Email: (ecrea /at/ ulb.ac.be)