[ecrea] THE WEEKLY SPIN, March 7, 2007

Wed Mar 07 21:57:24 GMT 2007

>THE WEEKLY SPIN, MARCH 7, 2007
>
>If you look forward to receiving the Spin each
>Wednesday, please support our work now by going to:
>https://www.groundspring.org/donate/index.cfm?ID=2344-0|1118-0
>
>Sponsored by the nonprofit Center for Media and Democracy:
>http://www.prwatch.org

>THIS WEEK'S NEWS
>
>== SPIN OF THE DAY POSTINGS ==
>1. Will Bush Pardon Libby's Fibby?
>2. Pepsi's Dean
>3. Retailer Sues Over Report Criticizing Its Advertising
>4. Indian Apparel Companies Gag Labor Groups with Court Filings
>5. Ex-NATO Commander Trades Military Power for Lobbying Power
>6. Government Health Agencies and Their Chemical Brothers
>7. The "Other Iraq" Opens a DC Lobbying Office
>8. Coal Plant Pusher Gains Green Cred for Buyout
>9. Coal Company Not So Happy with Environment Report
>10. Weight-Loss Drug Told to Lose the Advertising
>11. Pentagon Declares War on Bad News
>12. Industry Funding Skews Breast Cancer Research
>13. One Propaganda Window Closes (After Several Doors Open)

>== SPIN OF THE DAY POSTINGS ==
>
>1. WILL BUSH PARDON LIBBY'S FIBBY?
>http://www.prwatch.org/node/5828
>   A jury has convicted I. Lewis Libby, the former chief of staff to
>   Vice President Dick Cheney, of lying to a grand jury and to F.B.I.
>   agents investigating the leak of the identity of Valerie Plame
>   Wilson as a CIA operative. Nevertheless, reports Neil A. Lewis, "The
>   defense's plans to ask for a retrial and then appeal the verdict
>   mean that it would be many months before Mr. Libby would be required
>   to go to jail. It also would provide a window for Mr. Bush to pardon
>   Mr. Libby, an issue about which the White House has been silent, but
>   one that quickly became a topic of speculation in Washington."
>   Libby's conviction adds weight to charges that the White House
>   deliberately leaked information about Plame's CIA job to punish her
>   husband, Joseph Wilson, for blowing the whistle on Bush's false
>   claims about alleged Iraqi efforts to build nuclear weapons.
>SOURCE: New York Times, March 6, 2007
>
>2. PEPSI'S DEAN
>http://www.prwatch.org/node/5827
>   Three months after the Dean of the University of Minnesota Medical
>   School, Dr. Deborah Powell, joined the board of PepsicoAmericas,
>   controversy continues over her dual roles. Senior vice president for
>   health sciences at the university, Frank Cerra, defended Powell's
>   role to Pioneer Press reporter Paul Tosto: "What better way to get
>   knowledge about obesity into the company than by bringing it into
>   the boardroom?" The company, which has revenues of $3.7 billion,
>   describes itself as "the world's second-largest manufacturer, seller
>   and distributor of PepsiCo beverages." Robert Jeffery, a director of
>   the Obesity Prevention Center at the university said Powell's
>   appointment flagged the need for a "more serious conversation about
>   where the ethical lines lie in corporate consulting." Michele Simon,
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
NEW BOOK: Researching media, democracy and participation.
The intellectual work of the 2006 European media
and communication doctoral summer school.
Available at: http://young.meso.ee/?q=node/54
ICA 2007 Conference [Theme] website @
http://www.vub.ac.be/icatheme07/
!!!!!!NEW!!!!!!!!
Free ECREA Communication Doctoral Summer School Book
"Researching media, democracy and participation" at:
http://www.comsummerschool.org/
---
ECREA Book Series publication
"Reclaiming the Media"
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/ppbooks.php?isbn81841501635
with in the body of the message (NOT in the subject): unsubscribe ecrea
Postal address: ECREA - P.O. Box 106, B-1210 Brussels 21, Belgium
Email: (ecrea /at/ ulb.ac.be)