Archive for September 2004

[eccr] Communication Rights in Europe

Tue Sep 28 15:18:53 GMT 2004

>From: "Claudia Padovani" <(claupad /at/ libero.it)>
>
>Dear ECCR members,
>As you may know a European Forum on Communication Rights will take place
>on October 14 within which a session is organized to focus on problematic
>issues in EU policies and their implications for communication rights.
>Moreover, a group of people from the CRIS campaign (Communication right in
>the information society) has been working on a research project to assess
>the situation of communication rights in EU policies. Such an experience
>has demonstrated the need for developing or strengthening forms of
>networking among European groups, associations and scholars who have an
>interest on these issues. Thus we are taking the opportunity of the
>gatherings in London to present the project, some of the findings and
>share ideas on further developments.
>I hereby attach a note presenting the two events that will take place in
>London on the 14 and 15 of October (see attach for details on places and
>time schedule).

[attachment included in posting - NC]

>We really do hope that this first occasions for meeting as European actors
>with the aim of developing common plans and initiatives will be fruitful.
>We would be glad to share this experience with you and invite you warmly
>to join us. We also invite you to get in touch with the organizers
>(myself, Sean OSiochru and Iginio Gagliardone, in cc) to confirm your
>presence and/or your interest.
>Looking forward to meet you in London
>Best wishes
>Claudia Padovani
>University of Padova, CRIS campaign, IAMCR

+++

Communication Rights in Europe:
Critical Visions and Strategies for Action

European Social Forum (ESF)
European Forum for Communication Rights (EFCR)
London 14th-15th of October 2004

The EFCR and the ESF offer an excellent opportunity to highlight the
importance of communication as a fundamental human and social right as well
as address the constraints in this regard within a European context. The
Communication Rights in the Information Society Campaign (CRIS) and a
number of people active within the communication rights movement would like
to use this opportunity to discuss, network, as well as develop strategies
for action about communication rights in the EU. Two events have been
planned that, while being interconnected, have different aims. On the 14th
of October 2004 a session within the European Forum of Communication Rights
(EFCR) will present critical reflections on the key communication issues in
a European context, to map out what communication rights entail in terms of
potentialities and constraints. This will be followed-up by an intensive
workshop aiming at developing networking for advocacy on communication
rights in Europe on the 15th of October 2004. Different experiences,
competences and visions will be exchanged leading to a better articulation
of civil society actions and common strategies.

14th of September 2004
Venue: The Camden Centre (Judd Street)
European Forum on Communication Rights
10h45 - 11h45: Session 1

Framework on Communication Rights:
Defining the Key-Issues in the European Context

Presenters are invited to focus on the main key-issues that we are faced
with in Europe today with regard to the respective themes;

Ø       EU Information society Policy
Ø       Privacy
Ø       Concentration

Presenters are also invited to be brief and concise in putting forward
their arguments, as the time for presentations will be limited to 15
minutes. This will give each presenter an equal amount of time as the
session only lasts for one hour. Presenters are expected to give a critical
overview of what has been done on the respective issues at the European
level, the European perspective with regard to global initiatives in theses
areas, and the constraints that exists. Presenters are also asked to
conclude by formulating recommendations on how to make civil society
actions more effective within a policy context.

There will be an opportunity to discuss and reflect on these issues more in
depth during the workshop, which will be held on the following day (15th of
October).

Chair & Introduction: Sean O'Siochru, CRIS Campaign and GGP coordinator (10')

Issues (15' each):      Invited Speakers:
EU IS-policy:   Robin Mansell - LSE (UK)
Privacy:        Stefano Rodotà - Italian Privacy Commission (I)
Concentration:  Caroline. Pauwels - Free University of Brussels (B)

Concluding remarks: Claudia Padovani - University of Padova (5')

London, 15th October 2004
Venue: to be confirmed (please check: www.cris-italia.info for updates)
Workshop on Networking Communication Rights in the EU
Morning

Building on the European Forum for Communication Rights (14 October 2004)
the main goal of the proposed Workshop is to give a platform for
organizations involved in media and communication issues to meet, exchange
views and develop possible cooperation.

Speakers and participants will come from academia as well as NGOs and civil
society organizations in general. Scholars should help in mastering our
understanding of contemporary critical communication issues in the European
context and the role of civil society therein, while civil society
organizations will bring their grassroots experience and creativity in
setting the scene for European networking and advocacy on these issues.

The structure for the half day workshop would be the following:

Chair: Jason Nardi (APC-Italia)

§       0.5 hour - Introduction to Workshop and the Global Governance
Project (GGP), its rationale, the framework, the work conducted by the
European team, first results and ideas for the future (Sean O'Siochru &
Iginio Gagliardone)
§       1 hour - Presentations on communication issues. Invited speakers
will discuss issues starting from commenting on the GGP European team work,
and identify challenges and possible strategies for civil society,
(proposed names (tbd): Cees Hamelink, Steve Ward, Robin Mansell, Laurence
Lessig, Stefano Rodotà, Armand Matterlart, Annabelle Sreberny, E.
Remondino, F. Heyndrickx (president ECCR), Bart Cammaerts&)
§       1 hour - Short interventions by civil society organization, groups,
coalitions, networks who can present their experience in working and
networking around communication and rights at the European level, taking
into consideration the framework offered by the GGP and the proposals set
out by the European team for future cooperation (5 to 10 minutes each -
proposed organizations: IFJ, Statewatch, IPJustice, Privacy International,
More Colours in the Media, Multiple Voices, Media watch, WSIS-EU caucus,
Heinrich Boell Foundation, Julia Hoffman&)
§       1,5 hour- Debate on how to proceed, future meetings, priorities to
be discussed, methods, resources, cf. Ideas for working together
(facilitated by Claudia Padovani & Bart Cammaerts)

Ideas for working together

The following are some of the ideas that we have developed for future
actions, starting form the GGP experience. They will be briefly mentioned
in London to promote discussion.

§       Further develop framework application in terms of: the
international dimension, national dimension, selection and mastering of key
issues in the European context, tool-kit production
§       Possibility to develop a complete new European version of the
Project: framework revision, identification of resources, actions and
methods, final goals, tool-kit development, etc.
§       Mapping European social mobilization on communication issues
(conduct a survey, build a directory, apply network analysis to this reality)
§       Exploring strategies for fostering EU-civil society relation on
communication and information policies
§       Connection to local authorities and other relevant actors
§       Developing communication means or connect existing channels (lists,
websites)
§       A European calendar of events relating to communication rights
§       Topics to be developed/considered in the future: communication and
labour contexts/condition; challenges brought by the enlargement process,
Europe and financing of digital divide&

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: 5B.454
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info