Archive for calls, February 2024

[Commlist] call for paper abstracts - 'The Far Right and Audiovisual Fiction'

Wed Feb 21 11:12:19 GMT 2024

Call for paper abstracts – Special issue on ‘The Far Right and Audiovisual Fiction’

As part of the research project ‘Far Right Fictions’, based at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel and headed by Professors Joke Bauwens, Benjamin De Cleen and Kevin Smets, we are currently compiling a special issue proposal on ‘The Far Right and Audiovisual Fiction’. A leading journal in the field of media and communication studies has already indicated a keen interest in our idea and we are looking for a number of additional contributors before we submit the final proposal.

Our special issue looks to close a gap in existing research by looking at the role audiovisual fiction (film, TV series, computer games) plays in the (online) lives of people with far-right leanings. Our proposed special issue will explore the ways in which reactionary, far-right actors engage with audiovisual fiction and the diverse ideological and strategic reasons for doing so. We aim to bring together scholars from critical, media, cultural and far right studies, working with empirical data from diverse geographical locations, to understand the multifaceted ways in which the far right interacts with audiovisual fiction. We are particularly interested in contributions that address one or more of the following topics:

- The world of far-right influencers and audiovisual fiction;

- The role of audiovisual fiction in online far-right communities;

- Far-right critique of audiovisual fiction;

- Far-right audiences and far right fandom;

- The appropriation of audiovisual motifs and imagery in far-right strategy and campaigning;

- The use of audiovisual fiction as a medium to disseminate far-right ideas;

- The use of audiovisual fiction to legitimise far-right ideas and/or delegitimise the status-quo;

- The way in which far-right engagement with audiovisual fiction differs from and/or resembles other audiences.

We naturally welcome any other ideas that shed light on the role of audiovisual fiction on the far right. Should you be interested in contributing to our proposed special issue, please send a 300-400 word abstract (with references) to (omran.shroufi /at/ vub.be) <mailto:(omran.shroufi /at/ vub.be)> by Friday 15 March 2024. Please note we can only accept abstracts that directly engage with audiovisual fiction, rather than with popular culture or digital media more generally.

Once we have selected contributions, we will be submitting a complete proposal to a prominent peer-review journal that has already indicated an interest in our topic.

No payment is required from authors.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Omran Shroufi (omran.shroufi /at/ vub.be) <mailto:(omran.shroufi /at/ vub.be)>

We look forward to receiving your abstract.