Archive for calls, February 2024

[Commlist] Cfp: Repressed Histories of Communication and Media Studies

Fri Feb 02 15:58:31 GMT 2024

Repressed Histories of Communication and Media Studies

Call for Papers

This pre-conference builds on the vibrant discussions that took place as part of the ICA 2023 pre-conference “Media and Communication Studies in a Global Context: A Critical History.” It recognizes that if we are to take seriously recent calls to globalize and decolonize the fields of media, information, and communication studies, we need to move beyond debating what these calls might mean and begin to articulate concrete steps towards these important goals.

This year’s pre-conference focuses on “Repressed Histories” in the fields of media, information, and communication studies. The theme for ICA 2024 is ‘Communication and global human rights.’ Debates about human rights and their connections to Western-centric modernity, universality, and global institutions echo the calls to globalize and decolonize knowledge that are the starting points for this pre-conference. They also contain an invitation to address issues of oppression and marginalization from varied perspectives (race, gender, sexuality, indigeneity, oceanic flows, migration, etc.), whilst inviting us to take concrete steps to pluralize our understanding of media, information, and communications systems, practices, and their plural, and often repressed, histories.

We invite proposals that address our focus on “repressed histories” in and of the field by taking seriously and engaging directly with research, theories, sites, and thinkers whose contributions have been sidestepped, marginalized, occluded, or have simply not received the attention they deserve because of their geographical location, the historical traditions their belong to, as well as the combined effects of publishing circuits, border control, linguistic barriers, and knowledge traditions that continue to shape our field.

As such, we are especially interested in contributions that:

- engage seriously with the insights of intellectuals, scholars, and activists from the Global South who have theorized communicative phenomena in their broader socio-cultural and politico-economic contexts, including—but not limited to—those focused on non-Western knowledges, indigeneity, race, South-to-South solidarities. - involve institutions that house traditions, methodological approaches, and historiographies in media, information, and communication research that have been neglected by the field. - draw on concepts or ideas that have not received wide circulation because of their location, language of expression, and geographical or cultural origin.

Information about submissions:

Authors should submit an extended abstract of 400-500 words (excluding references) to (ias /at/ qatar.northwestern.edu) <mailto:(ias /at/ qatar.northwestern.edu)>.

In a single PDF, please include: your name, institutional affiliation, email address, title of your proposed presentation, and abstract.

The deadline for submissions has been extended to 14 february 2024

Attendance to the pre-conference has a general USD 50.00 fee. Please note that we will be able to provide some financial support.

Organizers:

Usha Raman, U of Hyderabad
Simone Natale, U of Turin
Emily Keightley, Loughborough U