Archive for calls, February 2020

[Commlist] CFP: Critical Studies in Television Conference

Fri Feb 21 21:25:06 GMT 2020

in line with the strikes (different universities strike at different times) we are extending the deadline for submission of abstracts to 20th March.

Below the original call for papers:

  CFP: Critical Studies in Television Biennial Conference

    26-28 August 2020

      Edge Hill University

      Ormskirk, UK

Where to, Television Studies? What directions are there to investigate? What are the themes that are important as the medium morphs and changes? What methodological challenges do these changes pose to Television Studies and what place does television history continue to hold within our discipline?

This conference will be a space where we can come together to set the agenda for television research and education. We therefore invite papers from all disciplines that engage with television and want to contribute to Television Studies as a field. We are particularly interested in papers that offer analyses of the field(s) or methods and ask questions about what research Television Studies should conduct and how we want to teach the subject. We thus invite papers that engage with any of the following or indeed other fields:

  * Television as texts
  * Television industries
  * Television institutions
  * Television histories
  * Television audiences
  * Television as a cultural form
  * Television and convergence
  * Television and identities
  * Television business
  * Television and its relation to the national, local and/or global
  * Methodologies in Television Studies
  * Teaching television
  * Theoretical approaches to television
  * Others
Two round-tables will provide insights into new directions of television research and questions of disciplinarity and television research. In addition, our keynote will examine television, its relation to technology and traditional understandings of the medium.

**

*Confirmed speakers:*

*Hanne Bruun*

*Hanne Bruun *is a Professor of Media Studies at Aarhus University, Denmark. She is the founder and head of the Centre for Media Industries and Production Studies; the author of four books, including /Dansk tv-satire. Underholdning med kant/; and the co-editor of four books. She has contributed to several books, e.g. /Advancing Media Production Studies /eds. Paterson, C. et al., and journals, e.g. /Nordic Journal of Media Studies /(2019), /Critical Studies in Television/, /Nordicom Review/, the /European Journal of Communication /and /Media, Culture & Society/. Her most recent book is /Re-Scheduling Television in the Digital Era/ (2020).

*Kerr Castle*

Kerr completed his PhD recently at the University of Glasgow where he investigated the role of television as ‘comfort’ medium. He worked with the NHS and has published several blogs on CSTOnline <https://cstonline.net/a-week-without-television-by-kerr-castle/>. He now works for the QAA Scotland.

**

*Christine Geraghty*

Christine is Honorary Professorial Research Fellow at the University of Glasgow, UK. Her research spans television and film, and she was part of the early researchers looking into soap opera, the experience of which she has documented in several publications <https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.7227/CST.5.1.9>. Her books include /Women and Soap Opera/ (1991) and /Now a Major Motion Picture: Film Adaptations of Literature and Drama /(2008). She is currently researching race and casting.

*Brett Mills*

Brett Mills is Professor for Film and Television at the University of East Anglia, UK. His research has focused on the lesser-researched genres of television including /Television Sitcom/ (2008) and /Invisible Television/ (2012). More recently, he has focused on /Animals on Television/ <https://www.amazon.co.uk/Animals-Television-Cultural-Making-Non-Human-ebook/dp/B077GCTRTD/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=brett+mills+television&qid=1579018402&sr=8-2> (2017)

And a focused PhD Panel

*Abstract Submissions: *

Please submit your abstracts for papers, panels, roundtables, screenings, posters etc. to the following address: (CSTconference /at/ edgehill.ac.uk) <mailto:(CSTconference /at/ edgehill.ac.uk)>.

Paper proposals (including for visual essays) should include a title, your name and affiliation as well as a short biography, and an abstract of less than 500 words.

Panels should include an overall abstract, as well as paper abstracts and the names, affiliations and biographies of all panellists.

Roundtables should include an overall abstract, as well as the names, affiliations and biographies of all contributors.

Screenings should include a title, abstract of the film/ programme as well as names, affiliations and biographies of the main contributors.

*Deadline for submission of abstracts is: 20 March 2020.*

Successful applicants will be notified by 6 April 2020.

*Projected Costs: *

We will make several registration fees available, but projected costs for the three-day registration are:

Early bird: £195

Early bird concession: £120

Full registration: £245

Full registration concession: £155

On Campus Accommodation including breakfast will be approx. £55/ per night.

For any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at (CSTconference /at/ edgehill.ac.uk) <mailto:(CSTconference /at/ edgehill.ac.uk)> or Elke directly: (weissmae /at/ edghill.ac.uk) <mailto:(weissmae /at/ edghill.ac.uk)>.

The conference is organised by Critical Studies in Television, ECREA Television Studies and the Department of Media and Performing Arts, Edge Hill University.