Archive for calls, February 2019

[Commlist] CFP NordMedia 2019 TWG3 Game Studies

Sat Feb 09 09:35:12 GMT 2019

Please find the cfp for the Game Studies TWG at the Nordmedia conference
below. This working group accepts full papers, long abstracts, panel
presentations and workshops. The deadline for abstract submission for
all presentation types is 18th of March. Please feel free to contact
(patrick.prax /at/ speldesign.uu.se) for any questions regarding the TWG.

We are looking forward to your submissions.

/Patrick and Andreas

NORDMEDIA 2019
Communication, Creativity & Imagination
Malmö 21-23 August 2019
TWG3 Game Studies
Chairs: Patrick Prax, Uppsala University, (patrick.prax /at/ speldesign.uu.se)
             Andreas Gregersen, University of Copenhagen, (agr /at/ hum.ku.dk)

Digital games are the primary focus of this TWG. We invite contributions
from technological, aesthetical, social, political and cultural
perspectives. This temporary working group accepts both panel proposals
and abstracts for individual papers. We therefore also invite
contributions where games intersect with other media types and
technological practice.

Digital games have increasingly become a central part of contemporary
culture and society both on a global scale and with a focus on the
Nordic countries. More people in the Nordics play games than not.
Digital games are among the foremost cultural commodities exported from
the Nordics and we are hosting gaming events of global reach. Esports
and streaming are central elements of youth culture. Issues such as
problematic gaming and violent content in games are debated in
mainstream media, and phenomena such as loot boxes and skin betting has
led to discussions of regulating games on a policy level.

For this conference we are especially interested in work that
investigates various gaming practices (including practices related to
games, play and media), for example competitive play, streaming,
modding, playful media practices of production and consumption, game
production as communication or creativity etc.

This working group accepts full papers, long abstracts, panel
presentations and workshops. You will find the instructions for
submissions of abstracts for all these forms of presentation here.
Discussants will be appointed to papers and long abstracts, but the
division also assumes that all participants will read each other’s
papers in order for the discussion to be more informed.

Link to the conference homepage:
https://www.delegia.com/app/netattm/attendee/page/83216