Archive for calls, January 2008

[ecrea] M/C "citizen - CFP Deadline extended to 20th February.

Tue Jan 29 07:58:51 GMT 2008

>                           M/C - Media and Culture
>

><http://www.media-culture.org.au/>http://www.media-culture.org.au/
>
>            is calling for contributors to the 'citizen' issue of
>

>                                 M/C Journal
>

><http://journal.media-culture.org.au/>http://journal.media-culture.org.au/
>

>M/C Journal is looking for new contributors. M/C is a crossover journal
>
>between the popular and the academic, and a blind- and peer-reviewed
>
>journal. In 2008, M/C Journal celebrates its tenth anniversary.
>

>To see what M/C Journal is all about, check out our Website, which contains
>
>all the issues released so far, at
><<http://journal.media-culture.org.au/>http://journal.media-culture.org.au/>.
>
>To find out how and in what format to contribute your work, visit
>
><<http://journal.media-culture.org.au/journal/submission.php>http://journal.media-culture.org.au/journal/submission.php>.
>

>                         Call for Papers: 'citizen'
>
>                  Edited by Jason Wilson and Barry Saunders
>

>Citizen is a word we hear more frequently all the time, but it's also one
>
>whose meaning has never seemed less clear. "Citizen journalists" and "e-
>
>citizenship" initiatives are everywhere, but so are signs of crisis in
>
>democratic institutions and processes.
>

>The online tools used to promote new forms of active citizenship are
>
>products of an era where the traditional focus of citizenship - the nation
>
>- seems far less powerful and important than ever in the face of global
>
>flows of capital, communication and culture. The exhortations to pursue new
>
>forms of political engagement - like public affairs blogging and citizen
>
>journalism - can only be read alongside the mounting evidence of a
>
>widespread disengagement from politics. It's not clear whether or how
>
>democratic institutions can (or ought to) adapt themselves to the changing
>
>modes of participation. And it's also unclear whether the online spaces
>
>given over to political debate do anything more than further polarize our
>
>conversations. But can institutions and an increasingly diverse online
>
>public sphere change and adapt to one another to renew democratic
>
>participation?
>

>For this edition of M/C Journal, we're looking for pieces that weigh up the
>
>impact of new forms of political participation. We'd especially like to
>
>encourage articles that reflect on concrete attempts to increase
>
>participation in the political process, and to promote citizenship. Whether
>
>you'd like to reflect on an initiative you've participated in, or link
>
>theory with interesting examples of media practice and activism, we'd like
>
>to feature your contribution.
>

>Submit papers of 3,000 words in length to the editors at
>
>(citizen /at/ journal.media-culture.org.au).
>

>Article deadline:     20TH FEBRUARY
>
>Issue release date:   12 March 2008
>

>M/C Journal was founded (as "M/C - A Journal of Media and Culture") in 1998
>
>as a place of public intellectualism analysing and critiquing the meeting

> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/