Archive for May 2024

[Commlist] Creative and Cultural Industries Symposium CfP

Tue May 28 22:04:46 GMT 2024

*We are delighted to announce a PhD researchers-led Summer Symposium on the Cultural and Creative Industries with the support of the Nottingham Trent University Doctoral School PGR Event Fund.

**SYMPOSIUM “CULTURAL AND CREATIVE INDUSTRIES UNRAVELLED”
*July 2nd, 1-5pm, Antenna, Nottingham
*For researchers, artists, industry professionals. Submissions by PhDs and Masters welcome.
*Proposals deadline 7^th of June 2024.
*To attend sign up here <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cultural-and-creative-industries-unravelled-tickets-896257368917?aff=oddtdtcreator>**.
*Tea, coffee and cake will be provided.
*Live sketcher*

This symposium will bring together academic research and critical debate about the working practices of the Cultural and Creative Industries. The event is open to both scholars and practitioners engaged with the creative field. It will be an opportunity to share new academic research alongside insights from the professional world in a welcoming setting that fosters critical debate and networking between academic and professionals in the industry.*This symposium aims to explore the working practices of the Cultural and Creative Industries through interdisciplinary lenses. * *Organised into two panel discussions, the speakers will be invited to share their practice and research in*conversation with attendees. A sketcher will be on site to live-draw the anecdotes and connections of each panel. Attendees will also be invited to display a research poster or exhibit their creative work throughout the event and discuss their work with peers during the networking coffee breaks.

Cultural and Creative Industries encompass a wide array of sectors, from art and music production to design, fashion, and film. These industries play a crucial role in shaping our cultural landscape. However, they also face complex challenges in their effort to balance the cultural and commercial worlds. Through this symposium, we seek to unravel those challenges and delve into topics including:

-*labour and entrepreneurship in cultural production; *

-*the role of cultural intermediaries in shaping the cultural agenda; *

-*the mechanisms of symbolic and economic value creation within creative ecosystems; *

-*the intersection of AI and creativity; *

-*the socio-political influences that shape creative industries, *

-*how cultural production intersects with broader societal issues and power dynamics. *

To apply please fill in this form https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=xcLLiu3Ix0KBabpDig2-L2Pr4uAbBNxAolBAjCngzy9UMElBNDJDSzQwRERDOFIxSzhQQ0NXVDJUSi4u <https://forms.office.com/pages/responsepage.aspx?id=xcLLiu3Ix0KBabpDig2-L2Pr4uAbBNxAolBAjCngzy9UMElBNDJDSzQwRERDOFIxSzhQQ0NXVDJUSi4u>

To attend please register via Eventbrite https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cultural-and-creative-industries-unravelled-tickets-896257368917?aff=oddtdtcreator <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cultural-and-creative-industries-unravelled-tickets-896257368917?aff=oddtdtcreator>

*Submission Guidelines:*We would like to invite professionals, artists, academics, PhD researchers, and master’s students to submit papers for our summer symposium with a choice of two formats:

 1. Presentation proposals should relate to working practices in the
    Cultural and Creative Industries, including but not limited to the
    topics listed above. Please submit a 200-word abstract detailing the
    elements and format of your presentation. We welcome submissions for
    10-15-minute talks, posters, videos, performances, and are open to
    innovative formats.
 2. Exhibitions or research posters should have links with the Cultural
    and Creative Industries and be related to the theme of the event.
    Please submit a 150-word summary of your proposed visual work
    including the format, design and topic.
Applicants will be invited to provide a short 100-word personal bio and share any URL or social media handles as part of the form.

*Contact Information:* For inquiries, please contact (naomi.wells2020 /at/ my.ntu.ac.uk) <mailto:(naomi.wells2020 /at/ my.ntu.ac.uk)>; (francesca.stocco2021 /at/ my.ntu.ac.uk) <mailto:(francesca.stocco2021 /at/ my.ntu.ac.uk)>; or (marion.derouineau2021 /at/ my.ntu.ac.uk) <mailto:(marion.derouineau2021 /at/ my.ntu.ac.uk)>