Archive for May 2024

[Commlist] "Machines That Fail Us" conference

Tue May 28 22:02:04 GMT 2024

“Machines That Fail Us - Building a Public debate about AI Errors, their Human Rights Implications, and our Democratic Futures” | University of St. Gallen, Switzerland

SQUARE, University of St. Gallen, Switzerland
June 24^th 2024, 10am to 6pm
Free, registration required

"Machines That Fail Us" brings together actors from academia, journalism, civil society, and the tech industry to discuss the impacts of AI failures, hallucinations, and errors. This event will gather critical voices of some of the most committed individuals working towards a better future with artificial intelligence. We invite you all to join us, registration is required. AI technologies and algorithms are progressively employed across diverse sectors, spanning from educational institutions and healthcare professionals to employers and government agencies, for evaluating and deciding upon different facets of our lives. Yet, it begs the fundamental question: Do these systems truly exhibit impartiality and fairness when analysing individuals and their behaviour? Our stance is that they do not. Ironically, despite their professed aim of enhancing objectivity and effectiveness, these technologies contain inherent biases and inaccuracies, particularly in terms of human profiling. During the three years of "The Human Error Project", we examined how journalists, civil society organizations and tech entrepreneurs in Europe deal with AI errors and how they negotiate and coexist with the impact of AI on human rights. The event will feature two workshops on AI regulation and one the building alternative futures with AI, a keynote speech by Prof. Stefania Milan from the University of Amsterdam and a discussion panel with Luca Zorloni, Head of Digital at Wired, Ilia Siatista, Programme Director and Senior Legal Officer at Privacy International and Lorna Goulden, Founder of the Twinds Foundation.

Schedule and registration information: https://www.unisg.ch/en/news/events/conference-machines-that-fail-us <https://www.unisg.ch/en/news/events/conference-machines-that-fail-us>

Contact person: (philip.disalvo /at/ unisg.ch)