Archive for May 2024

[Commlist] CfP: New perspectives on the legacy of Daphne du Maurier

Thu May 23 13:26:48 GMT 2024

We are looking for a few more chapter proposals to expand our forthcoming edited collection, /New perspectives on the legacy of Daphne du Maurier/. The collection explores du Maurier’s work in adaptation, including her most famous work /Rebecca/ and its many adaptations. It has already had some interest from a publisher. “I am glad it cannot happen twice, the fever of first love,” writes Daphne du Maurier in her 1938 domestic Gothic novel /Rebecca/. But to look at du Maurier’s legacy is to see the fever of love for her stories happen over and over again. Her oeuvre’s influences on the 20th century domestic gothic and 21st century domestic noir literary genres have been well documented, while her works has been adapted for the screen multiple times, most notably by Alfred Hitchcock. Such a sprawling, complex and ever-developing legacy illustrates the indelible mark du Maurier has left on popular culture, but, as the author herself suggests, the fever of first love might never be truly replicated. How, then, can we consider the lasting legacy of her work, particularly its many adaptations? What is lost in the retelling of the tales, and how might the stories have been changed and updated to rekindle something of that feverish first love for new audiences? In what ways do these adaptations cross boundaries of genre and media formats? What might this tell us about the nature of adaptation more generally, particularly in a contemporary climate obsessed with nostalgic remakes and revivals? So far, we have chapters that cover adaptations of /Rebecca/ from Hitchcock’s film adaptation to the 2023 musical. Other chapters look at Turkish cinematic adaptations, hydrofeminism and contemporary cookbooks as adaptations. As we are expanding the scope of this collection, we are currently specifically interested in chapter proposals that engage with du Maurier’s oeuvre in adaptation beyond /Rebecca/ including but not limited to adaptations such as - /The Birds/ – film adaptation from 1963 and the 2008 BBC Radio 4 Extra adaptation
- /My Cousin Rachel/ – film adaptations from 1952 and 2017
- /Jamaica Inn/ – 1939 film adaptation and 2014 TV show adaptation
- /Frenchman’s Creek/ – 1944 film adaptation
- /Don't Look Now/ - 1973 film adaptation and 2001 BBC Radio 4 Classic Series adaptation Please submit abstracts of up to 300 words, plus a short bio of 50 words, to the editors, Katharina Hendrickx ((K.Hendrickx /at/ sussex.ac.uk)) and Amelia Crowther ((Amelia.Crowther /at/ sussex.ac.uk)), by 24 June 2024. Please also send any questions to the above email addresses. A deadline for first drafts will be set once the updated proposal has been reviewed by the publisher.