Archive for May 2024

[Commlist] Conference registration for Code as Conversation: Transmedia Dialogues Around Critical Code Studies closes on 25 May!

Wed May 15 10:10:08 GMT 2024

CODE AS CONVERSATION: TRANSMEDIA DIALOGUES AROUND CRITICAL CODE STUDIES

What: A one day conference at Cambridge Digital Humanities (CDH) on the dynamic field of critical code studies.
When: Saturday 1 June 2024, 09:00 - 17:00
Where: SG1, Alison Richard Building, University of Cambridge
Convenors: Claire Carrol and Orla Delaney (CDH)
Keynote: David Berry, Professor of Digital Humanities at the University of Sussex

REGISTER HERE: https://www.cdh.cam.ac.uk/events/37778/ *Registration closes on Saturday 25 May*

ABOUT
‘Hello World!’ is how all computer programmers begin, and it’s how Mark C. Marino opens his manifesto for critical code studies. This elementary exercise in coding, accompanied by the instruction PRINT, demonstrates that “code exists not for machines but for humans who need to communicate with the machine and with other humans.” The code we write enables us to interface with the machine, sitting somewhere between human language and the calculations performed by the computer.

Here, we take up ‘conversation’ as a means of interrogating the performative, cultural, and functional nature of code. The discipline of critical code studies extrapolates outward from close readings of chunks of computer code to capture the broader phenomena at work behind them: the users, communities, engineers, teachers, critics, routers, servers, compilers, computers, chargers, and utility networks. The framework of the conversation places code into continuous mutual negotiation with these resources; compiling is only the beginning of the process.

However, critical code studies is frustrated by the increased preponderance of deep neural networks, which abstract code processes further from what is intelligible through language; human critique and understanding hinges on our ability to read and speak back to code. How do these conversations falter when language is obstructed, and how can we develop methodologies to keep understanding obfuscated code?

This one-day conference on the dynamic field of critical code studies will expand on these questions and on the conversations begun by the Cultural Politics of Code reading group at Cambridge Digital Humanities. Researchers and students from all disciplines, as well as those working in industry, are encouraged to attend.

WHEN AND WHERE?
The conference will be held in person at the University of Cambridge on Saturday 1 June 2024. Panels will take place between 9am and 5pm in Room SG1 of the Alison Richard Building on the Sidgwick Site. Lunch and refreshments will be served in the Atrium of the building, which is directly outside SG1. Participants should make their dietary and access requirements known on the e-sales form. Should you wish to discuss any specifics, please get in touch via (CodeAsConversation /at/ cdh.cam.ac.uk) and we will do our best to accommodate any requests.

PROGRAMME
We are delighted to share that David Berry, Professor of Digital Humanities at the University of Sussex, will deliver the keynote 'Critiquing Code Alignment: Tracing “Forward Alignment” and “Backward Alignment” in Critical Code Studies'. The keynote will accompany a varied programme of panels and experimental talks from researchers in multiple disciplines and areas. Full programme available here: https://www.cdh.cam.ac.uk/events/37778/#programme

HOW TO REGISTER AND FEES
Registration closes at 23:00 UK time on Saturday 25 May, one week prior to the start of the conference. There are limited places available, so early booking is encouraged. Registration will become active once payment is received via the university eSales platform.

Standard (employed): £20
Subsidised (unemployed/student): £10
Speakers: no fee

BURSARIES
There are limited bursary places for individuals who are not able to afford the cost of the conference and can demonstrate how attending the conference will be beneficial for their work or study. If you wish to be considered for a bursary, please contact (CodeAsConversation /at/ cdh.cam.ac.uk) as soon as possible

CONTACT US
Any questions? For all enquiries, please contact (CodeAsConversation /at/ cdh.cam.ac.uk)