Archive for May 2024

[Commlist] CFP: Symposium "Persuasive Algorithms? The Rhetorics of Generative AI"

Wed May 15 09:56:35 GMT 2024

Call for Participation
Persuasive Algorithms? The Rhetorics of Generative AI

International Conference
November 12–14, 2024,
Tübingen, Germany
https://rhet.ai/en/persuasive-algorithms/ <https://rhet.ai/en/persuasive-algorithms/>

About
The Center for Rhetorical Science Communication Research on Artificial Intelligence (RHET AI) in cooperation with the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems Tübingen/Stuttgart (MPI-IS) is organizing an interdisciplinary symposium on the foundations, functionalities, and communicative implications of Generative AI. The symposium will take place on November 12–14, 2024, at the MPI-IS in Tübingen (Germany).

In Tübingen, we want to discuss and navigate expected changes in communication through the advent of generative AI. We aim to address interdisciplinary questions and problems about the influence of generative AI, its technical and communicative parameters, and possible societal developments. The event will emphasize the role of generative AI as a bridge between theory and practice in AI research and the humanities.

To achieve this, we aim to bring together researchers from a diverse set of disciplines such as machine learning, cognitive science, philosophy of language, rhetoric, linguistics, and media studies with experts from journalism, culture and science communication.

Key topics
- The creation of realities
- Problems of persuasion
- AI’s worldview and ethics
- Developing a promptology
- Generative AI’s influence on science communication
- Generative AI and public discourse

Other topics regarding the intersections of Machine Learning and Communication, Rhetoric and Generative AI are welcome.

Abstracts
We invite scholars and practitioners to participate in the symposium with submissions for one of two formats, individual papers (30 min including discussion) and problem pitches for small group discussions.

Abstracts should be submitted through the form on our website, where you can also find additional information on the scope and goals of the conference: rhet.ai/en/persuasive-algorithms/ <http://rhet.ai/en/persuasive-algorithms/>

Deadline for abstracts and problems: June 14, 2024. Notification of acceptance: Early July 2024. If you have any questions, please contact us by e‑mail at (persuasivealgorithms /at/ rhet.ai) <mailto:(persuasivealgorithms /at/ rhet.ai)>

Organization and Contact
Markus Gottschling ((markus.gottschling /at/ uni-tuebingen.de) <mailto:(markus.gottschling /at/ uni-tuebingen.de)>) & Olaf Kramer ((olaf.kramer /at/ uni-tuebingen.de) <mailto:(olaf.kramer /at/ uni-tuebingen.de)>)

University of Tübingen
Center for Rhetorical Science Communication Research on Artificial Intelligence
(RHET AI)

Rhetoric Department
Wilhelmstr. 50
72074 Tübingen