Archive for July 2022

[Commlist] Job vacancy: Assistant Professor in International Media and Communication Studies

Sat Jul 23 13:31:13 GMT 2022

The Department of Cultural, Media and Visual Studies is one of three departments within the School of Cultures, Languages and Area Studies, University of Nottingham, UK. We are seeking to appoint an Assistant Professor to make a significant impact within the research and teaching area of International Media and Communication Studies.

Our School thrives through the different ideas and experiences of colleagues, who come from a mix of cultures and backgrounds. We strive to foster a welcoming, inspiring and supportive workplace. We are seeking applications from candidates whose background, experience and identity broadens and enhances the diversity of our existing team and would especially welcome applications from members of groups who are currently underrepresented in the School, particularly Black, Asian and minority ethnic scholars. We understand that having a mix of perspectives, lived experiences and approaches to teaching and research enhances our day-to-day work and enriches our School community.

The successful candidate will lead and deliver individual and collaborative teaching and research in digital and global media cultures, generate income by developing and winning support for innovative research proposals and funding bids, and build impactful partnerships and engagement with external organisations and publics.  Teaching and research expertise in one or more of the following areas would be advantageous:

•digital media, such as social media, multimedia/big data journalism, and/or computational propaganda

•comparative media systems and cultures, especially with attention to the global south

•media futures, such as automation, immersive technologies, collaborative journalism, new ethical frameworks (e.g. solutions journalism)

A range of administrative duties to support the operation of the School will also be undertaken including acting as a personal tutor.

Applicants must have a PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant subject area and previous experience of teaching at HE level. Applicants should ideally have a track record of high-quality published research.

This is a full-time (36.25 hours) , permanent position. Job share arrangements may be considered.

*Candidates should attach a CV, publication list, and a covering letter stating why they are suitable for the role with their application.*

Further information about the School is available at www.nottingham.ac.uk/clas

Informal enquiries may be addressed to Professor Roberta Pearson, Head of Department, via email (roberta.pearson /at/ nottingham.ac.uk) <mailto:(roberta.pearson /at/ nottingham.ac.uk)>. Please note that applications sent directly to this email address will not be accepted.

Our University is a supportive, inclusive, caring and positive community. We warmly welcome those of different cultures, ethnicities and beliefs – indeed this very diversity is vital to our success, it is fundamental to our values and enriches life on campus. We welcome applications from UK, Europe and from across the globe. For more information on the support we offer our international colleagues, see our <https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/moving-to-nottingham/index..aspx>Moving to Nottingham pages. <https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/moving-to-nottingham/international-applicants/international-applicants.aspx>

For successful international applicants, we provide financial support for your visa and the immigration health surcharge, plus an interest-free loan to help cover the cost of immigration-related expenses for any dependants accompanying you to the UK. For more information please see the our webpage on Financial support for visas and the immigration health surcharge <https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/jobs/moving-to-nottingham/international-applicants/immigration/financial-support-for-visas-and-the-immigration-health-surcharge.aspx>.<https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/hr/guidesandsupport/workingintheuk/documents/support-with-immigration-expenses-policy-application-form.pdf>/<https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/hr/guidesandsupport/workingintheuk/documents/support-with-immigration-expenses-policy-application-form.pdf>/

  * Job Description/Role Profile

<https://jobs.nottingham.ac.uk/Upload/vacancies/files/39916/ARTS293622.pdf>
  * Additional Information
    <https://jobs.nottingham.ac.uk/Org/AdditionalInfo.aspx?ref=ARTS293622>