Archive for May 2022

[Commlist] Call for Applications for the 2022 AusSTS workshop

Wed May 25 08:05:05 GMT 2022

      Call for Applications
      AusSTS2022: “Generation” <https://aussts.wordpress.com/aussts2022/>
      Date: Thurs 28th and Fri 29 July, 2022

*/Deadline for applications: 30th May, 2022/*

As STS practitioners, we grapple with the understanding that generating knowledge and ideas are always practices in becoming, unfinished, and multiple, never isolated. We are asked to think about the socio-technical, material-discursive, and political relations that generate some worlds and ideas, and exclude others. These multiple configurations speak of the inevitability of interdependence, relationality, permeability, and boundaries.

To think about generation in multiple senses means to think through the humble awareness of our indebtedness to other bodies, knowledges, histories, ecologies—as a part of a community in constant formation. This awareness can reflect in the ethics of our own praxis. It can inspire us to bring into conversation different generations and sensitivities of STS. It can also speak of the knowledges and material practices that shape memories of past generations, and expectations and promises about future ones. It can mean asking what relations get remembered, what relations are maintained, and who is harmed or excluded in the process.

AusSTS is committed to bringing together STS scholars from across Australasia by offering a space where these conversations and reflections can happen freely and generously. Similarly to last year’s workshop, AusSTS 2022 will be a multi-sited event hosted across four locations: Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin, and Wellington. The event will include shared online keynotes, short presentations, as well as local activities and get-togethers.

We invite proposals for short presentations from early career and PhD/Masters researchers that respond broadly to the theme of ‘generation’. This includes, but is not limited to:

  * *Generation as era*: from historical epochs (18th century, 19th
    century, 20th century) to population clusters (boomers, millennials,
    gen z), to cultural movements (beat generation, MTV generation,
    digital natives, TikTok teens)
  * *Generation as reproduction*: intergenerational trauma, the passing
    on of genes, the mutation of viruses, interventions into the
    reproduction of humans, animals, crops, and other biological matter
  * *Generation as innovation*: AI, machine learning, and other
    computational processes that self-generate images, categories, or
    actions (e.g. generative adversarial networks (GANs)), the
    Anthropocene and new technologies for energy generation
  * *Generation as creativity:* pedagogy and the creation of generative
    spaces, generative frameworks, theories and methods for research,
    practices and techniques for generating art, language, and social
    relations
  * *Generation as hope:* regeneration, the next generation, techniques
    of conservation/preservation in the face of
    extinction/disaster/destruction

        *
        *

        *Confirmed keynote speakers*:

*Anne Pollock* (King’s College London)

Intergenerational Plenary: *Hana Burgess* (UoA), *Mythily Meher* (UoA), *Billy van Uitregt* (VUW)

        *Structure, cost and accessibility*:

The workshop is a multi-sited, face-to-face event that will take place across four locations. Registration costs will vary depending on the events planned at each location:

  * Melbourne
  * Sydney
  * Darwin
  * Wellington

We ask participants to apply to attend one of these face-to-face locations. All sites will take part in shared online keynote presentations. Each site will then host their own set of activities ranging from short presentations, workshops, and field trips.

We endeavour to make all face-to-face venues accessible for our participants. Please do not hesitate to get in contact if you have any questions regarding accessibility requirements or have specific venue accessibility requests. All keynote events will be free and live-streamed for those who are unable to attend the workshop in-person.

Details about cost will be shared in the coming months. AusSTS is committed to making these events affordable for all our participants, especially our HDRs and ECRs.

        *Submission guidelines:*

This workshop departs from the traditional symposia format of long papers and short discussion. Participants can expect to present a short paper consisting of a question, problem, or provocation and take part in panel discussions and cross-disciplinary dialogues.

We invite postgraduate and early career researchers (ECRs) from all disciplines and areas of expertise to apply, including life, environmental and materials science, social sciences and humanities, artists, social activists, and other practitioners.

To apply, you will need to submit a proposal for *a 5-minute presentation* at the workshop on any topic that relates to the theme of ‘generation.’ Proposals must include a title, 250 word abstract, 5 keywords, and a short presenter bio. To submit a proposal complete the online application form *here* <https://forms.gle/SuHHb9uK6WLLBA8LA>.

For more information visit: https://aussts.wordpress.com/aussts2022/ <https://aussts.wordpress.com/aussts2022/>