Archive for May 2022

[Commlist] Conference: The ‘littleapparatus’: 100 years of 9.5mm film

Fri May 06 09:46:21 GMT 2022

The ‘little apparatus’: 100 years of 9.5mm film (16, 17, 18 June 2022 | ONLINE)

We would like to advise that the programme for the upcoming conference hosted by the Department of Film Studies’ ‘Centre For International Film Research’ at the University of Southampton has now been confirmed and can be viewed on the conference website <https://sites.google.com/view/100yearsof95mmconference/programme?authuser=0>.

*_Booking/registration link at the foot of the email_*

*__*

December 1922 will mark the centenary of the introduction of 9.5mm film to the French cinematographic market.  Pathé Freres first launched their ‘Pathé Baby’ home cinema system on domestic territory in time for the Christmas season, with the promise of a soon-to-follow lightweight and modestly priced cine-camera using the same narrow gauge, and fitting in a vest pocket (1923, pp. 48–50). In time, the new gauge became available elsewhere -arriving just ahead of Kodak’s 16mm film/cinema system, and together these signalled the first major boom in amateur filmmaking.

The conference organisers are delighted to confirm keynote addresses by Dr Ryan Shand (Ravensbourne University London) and Dr Annamaria Motrescu-Mayes (University of Cambridge).

We have a packed schedule of papers from archivists, scholars, and filmmakers across the globe – the programme, a full list of speakers and abstracts can now be found on the conference website. <https://sites.google.com/view/100yearsof95mmconference/home> For the benefit of those attending in other time zones, we have endeavoured to position some of our keynotes a little later in the day.

*Conference date*: 16, 17, 18 June 2022

*Venue*: Hosted online via MS Teams

*Book online*: The ‘little apparatus’: 100 years of 9.5mm film (16-18 June) Tickets | Eventbrite <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-little-apparatus-100-years-of-95mm-film-16-18-june-tickets-217883223587>

_Links to the event and screening material will be shared with delegates 2 weeks ahead of the event._