Archive for November 2019

[Commlist] Fellowships at Data Justice Lab, Cardiff University, UK

Fri Nov 01 14:33:18 GMT 2019

The Data Justice Lab is looking for two fellows to collaborate with us on exploring current issues in data justice. Each fellowship allows for a 1-month research stay at the Lab at Cardiff University, UK. It offers the opportunity to advance ongoing research or conduct short-term projects.

What we are looking for

We welcome proposals from both academics and practitioners who wish to investigate different dimensions of social justice in a datafied world. You can be a PhD student, Postdoc, campaigner or developer. You  should have a strong interest in the implications of big data, demonstrable experience, and a clearly defined project that you wish to work on during your time at the Lab.

This project may be a part of your broader research, or it may have a practical focus (a citizen toolkit, a campaign for policy change, capacity building within a particular community, etc.). It should address the research agenda and/or the practice of data justice and help advance either our understanding of, or the practical programme towards, data justice.

Your proposal should relate to ongoing work at the Lab. You should either focus it on one of our ongoing projects or explain how it contributes to (or complements) the work and agenda of the Data Justice Lab.

Working with us

The Data Justice Lab is a research hub situated within Cardiff University’s School of Journalism, Media and Culture. It has become a prominent voice in the field of critical data studies, delivers high impact research and engages with a variety of stakeholders. We are a small team with big ideas where everyone contributes to discussions and helps with the continuous development of the Lab.

This fellowship is an opportunity to have real input in the Lab’s project work while also making the case for data justice. Both fellows will attend weekly meetings, be provided with desk space, and can expect the support and camaraderie from Lab colleagues. There may also be the opportunity to get involved in other project related outputs such as workshops, conferences or publications.

Funding

Each fellow will work with us full time for one month at Cardiff University and receive a £2000 stipend to cover their living expenses.

Time period

Fellows will spend one month at the Lab in spring 2020 – between March and June. The exact period for which you apply should be specified in your application. In exceptional cases we may be able to offer a fellowship for an earlier or later period.

How to apply

To apply, submit a CV and a letter of intent (800 words max) that clearly indicates your project proposal and outlines how it contributes to the work of the Data Justice Lab. Please email your application to (datajusticelab /at/ cardiff.ac.uk) <mailto:(datajusticelab /at/ cardiff.ac.uk)>

The application deadline is 30 November 2019.

Find the online version of this call here: https://datajusticelab.org/data-justice-fellowship/