Archive for June 2019

[Commlist] Ethics and Empathy Seminar

Thu Jun 27 13:02:21 GMT 2019

*SEMINAR:/ETHICS AND EMPATHY/*

*23/24 OCTOBER 2019*

Lincoln School of Film and Media, University of Lincoln, Lincoln

The Lincoln School of Film and Media is mounting an interdisciplinary seminar to discuss the ethical implications of the current claims around the suggested impacts on the audience's empathetic reception of new media platforms. It is our intention to approach the current debate from a wide variety of angles. We’ll contextualise the example of immersive media by asking what do we already know of the empathic reaction to legacy visual media communications – film, broadcasting, photography – on, for example, migration, targeted social action, political satire and so on? We will be discussing the specific affordances that give rise to current claims around empathy and the ethical challenges those affordances occasion -- and more generally, how the established agenda of concerns about media ethics might respond, if at all, to the emergence of immersive media.

We would very much welcome contributions to our deliberations. If you are interested in joining us, please be in touch with either:

Prof Brian Winston (bwinston /at/ lincoln.ac.uk) <mailto:(bwinston /at/ lincoln.ac.uk)>

Dr Carolina Bandenelli (cbandenelli /at/ lincoln.ac.uk) <mailto:(cbandenelli /at/ lincoln.ac.uk)>