Archive for June 2019

[Commlist] Femininity and Psychoanalysis:cinema, culture, theory

Sun Jun 23 18:53:29 GMT 2019

We are delighted to announce the publication of a new book (Routledge) edited by Ben Tyrer and myself, with amazing contributions from Elizabeth Cowie, Bracha Ettinger, Caroline Bainbridge, Sheila Cavannagh, Nava Dushi, Pia Hylen, Joseph Jenner, Vicky Lebeau, Wendy Leeks, Allister Mactaggart, Adrian Price, Davina Quinlivan and Igor Rodin – and of course Ben and me. This has been a very major undertaking and we are proud to see its publication. As psychoanalysis has had an interesting relationship with film studies over the decades, we do hope you might take a look at this and see the new scholarship. And from the blurb:

This transdisciplinary collection crosses boundaries between clinical and psychological discourse and arts and humanities fields to approach the topic of femininity from a variety of psychoanalytic perspectives. From object relations, to Lacan, to queer theory, the essays here revisit and rethink the debates over what the feminine might be. The volume presents a major new work by leading feminist film scholar, Elizabeth Cowie, in which she presents a first intervention on the topic of film and the feminine for over 20 years, as well as a key essay by the prominent artist and psychoanalyst, Bracha Ettinger.

Written by an international selection of contributors, this collection is an indispensable tool for film and literary scholars engaged with psychoanalysts and anybody interested in different approaches to the question of the feminine.

https://www.routledge.com/Femininity-and-Psychoanalysis-Cinema-Culture-Theory-1st-Edition/Piotrowska-Tyrer/p/book/9781138500938