Archive for May 2019

[Commlist] Explorations in Media Ecology 18.1&2 published

Fri May 24 00:53:19 GMT 2019

Intellect is pleased to announce that Explorations in Media Ecology 18.1&2 is now available!

For more information about the issue, click here >> https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/intellect/eme/2019/00000018/f0020001

*Aims & Scope*

EME explores the relationships between media, technology, symbolic form, communication, consciousness, and culture. Its scope is interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary. Media ecology provides a rich philosophical, historical and practical context for studying our increasingly technological and mediated society and culture with an emphasis on historical context.

Media ecology scholarship emphasizes a humanistic approach to understanding media, communication, and technology, with special emphasis on the ways in which we have been and continue to be shaped and influenced by our inventions and innovation. The Media ecology approach is predicated on understanding that media, symbols, and technologies play a leading role in human affairs, and function as largely invisible environments affecting the way we think, feel, act, and organize ourselves collectively.

*Issue 18.1&2*

_Editorial
_
Doubled up
LANCE STRATE

_Articles_

The ecology of communities in schools, businesses, societies and ecosystems
JEFFREY W. BLOOM

Communication as travel: The genre of letters to the dead in public media
CAROLIN ARONIS

Reading the grand palimpsest of mixed reality
MARCO ADRIA

Explorations in the noosphere: Hermeneutic presence and hostility in cyberspace
TIFFANY PETRICINI

The pre-modern self in post-modern times: The rhetoric of privacy in the work of Walter J. Ong, S.J.
PAUL DE PALMA

_Probe_

Awareness, involvement and detachment: Understanding McLuhan’s notions of the subliminal, Narcissus narcosis, figure/ground and the anti-environment
ROBERT K. LOGAN

_Poetry_
GARY BARWIN

_Pedagogy_

Exercising perception
LANCE STRATE

_Book Reviews_

  * Utopia Is Creepy: And Other Provocations, Nicholas Carr (2016) The
    Glass Cage: How Our Computers Are Changing Us, Nicholas Carr (2015)
    The Glass Cage: Automation and Us, Nicholas Carr (2014) The
    Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains, Nicholas Carr
    (2010) The Big Switch; Rewiring the World, from Edison to Google,
    Nicholas Carr (2008) Does IT Matter?: Information Technology and the
    Corrosion of Competitive Advantage, Nicholas G. Carr (2004) JAMES C.
    MORRISON
  * Transforming McLuhan: Cultural, Critical, and Postmodern
    Perspectives, Paul Grosswiler (2010) ROBERT MACDOUGALL
  * Old New Media: From Oral to Virtual Environments, Paul Grosswiler
    (2013) ROBERT MACDOUGALL
  * Sources of Significance: Worldly Rejuvenation and Neo-Stoic Heroism,
    Corey Anton (2010) TWYLA GIBSON
  * Digination: Identity, Organization, and Public Life in the Age of
    Small Digital Devices and Big Digital Domains, Robert C. MacDougall
    (2014) BRETT LUNCEFORD
  * Fake News in Real Context, Paul Levinson (2017) LISA NOCKS
  * The Future of the Library: From Electric Media to Digital Media,
    Robert K. Logan and Marshall McLuhan (2016) KAREN BROWN

For more information about the journal and calls for papers, click here >> https://www.intellectbooks.com/explorations-in-media-ecology