Archive for September 2018

[ecrea] Two tenure track appointments at McMaster University

Thu Sep 27 13:46:05 GMT 2018

The Department of Communication Studies and Multimedia at McMaster University invites applications from qualified candidates for two tenure-track appointments in Critical Media and Communication Studies to commence July 1, 2019, at the rank of Assistant Professor.

We are seeking applicants whose primary area of research is in Critical Race, Ethnicity, and/or Indigenous Studies in close intersection with one or some of the following areas: Queer/Trans Theory, Critical Disability Studies, Social/Environmental Justice, Post/Anti-colonial and/or Transnational Studies, Critical Data and Internet Studies, and/or Critical Media Studies.

The successful candidates will have a completed PhD in Communication Studies (or cognate area).  Candidates’ application materials should demonstrate a record of research success and potential to become a leading scholar in their field and to attract research funding. Previous experience teaching at the university level in Communication Studies is preferred.

Teaching responsibilities will include undergraduate courses in Communication Studies and graduate courses and supervision in our MA program in Communication & New Media and our new PhD program in Communication, New Media & Cultural Studies. Applicants should identify undergraduate courses they are qualified to teach in our Communication Studies program.

Housed in the Faculty of Humanities, the Department of Communication Studies and Multimedia is home to two BA Honours programs; the MA program in Communication and New Media; the McMaster-Syracuse Master of Communications Management program; and, jointly with the Department of English and Cultural Studies, the PhD program in Communication, New Media & Cultural Studies.

The successful applicants will join a vibrant intellectual community at McMaster, an internationally ranked and comprehensive university committed to inclusion, collaboration, community engagement, and anti-oppressive practices. Communication Studies and Multimedia faculty boast dynamic research profiles spanning a wide range of fields, including digital and media studies; intellectual property; critical race, gender and queer studies; sound studies; popular music studies; international communication; political economy; environmental humanities; audience studies; experimental video; virtual worlds; digital game studies; live coding; physical computing; human computer interaction; and professional communication.  CSMM also hosts the Centre for Networked Media and Performance, the Networked Imagination Laboratory, Pulse Lab, the Communications Governance Observatory, and the MacGRID Simulation Research Forum.  As well, there are opportunities to engage with the numerous McMaster research and study centres including: the Indigenous Research Institute, the Gender Studies and Feminist Research Program, MacData, the Sherman Centre for Digital Scholarship, the Institute on Globalization and the Human Condition, the McMaster Centre for Scholarship in the Public Interest, and the McMaster Institute for Research on Aging (MIRA).

All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.

Hiring Manager: Dr. Andrew Mactavish
Chair, Department of Communication Studies & Multimedia
McMaster University, Faculty of Humanities, Togo Salmon Hall 330
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4M2

How To Apply
Application package should include: a cover letter (addressing research, teaching and administrative experience), curriculum vitae, writing sample of no more than 20 pages, and the names and contact information of three referees whom the department may contact. Applicants are asked to describe, within their letter of application, their commitment to and demonstrated experience in research and teaching, and in advancing equity, diversity and inclusion in university or community settings. At a later stage in the selection process, additional documentation may be requested.

Materials sent from applicants must be submitted through the University’s electronic portal at www.workingatmcmaster.ca/careers/ <http://www.workingatmcmaster.ca/careers/>(Job ID 22607). Queries should be addressed to Dr. Andrew Mactavish, Chair, Department of Communication Studies and Multimedia at (cmstdir /at/ mcmaster.ca) <mailto:(cmstdir /at/ mcmaster.ca)>.

Applications received by November 15, 2018 will be assured of full consideration; however, applications will continue to be considered until the position is filled. For information about the Department of Communication Studies and Multimedia, see http://csmm.humanities.mcmaster.ca/.

Employment Equity Statement
In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity. The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. While all qualified candidates are invited to apply, we particularly welcome applications from women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, members of visible minorities, and LGBTQ+ persons. Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact the Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247) to communicate accommodation needs.

To comply with the Government of Canada’s reporting requirements, the University is obliged to gather information about applicants’ status as either Permanent Residents of Canada or Canadian citizens. Applicants need not identify their country of origin or current citizenship; however, all applications must include one of the following statements:

Yes, I am a citizen or permanent resident of Canada
No, I am not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada