Archive for September 2018

[ecrea] Symposium: Brews and Brows: Shaping Stories from Eyebrows to Scousebrows

Tue Sep 25 04:21:30 GMT 2018

Symposium

Brews and Brows: Shaping Stories from Eyebrows to Scousebrows

https://brewsnbrows.wordpress.com <https://brewsnbrows.wordpress.com/>

Registration link:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/symposium-brews-and-brows-shaping-stories-from-eyebrows-to-scousebrows-tickets-50399057939

9.30-5.00, October 2, 2018, The Box, FACT Liverpool

This project entails gathering stories and creating a new taxonomy of the eyebrow where none currently exists. Our project is interested in how taste functions in the ways Liverpool women pluck, sculpt, and position their eyebrows to enact a carefully crafted aestheticized working class self. Labelled the Scousebrow and oft-derided as evidence of poor or absence of taste by the popular press and online fora, it is a highly resonant marker of identity. The launch point is to challenge the current denigration of the Scousebrow, that is associated with both working class women of Liverpool and celebrity culture, by creating spaces to display and discuss the personal significance of eyebrow shaping.

On World Eyebrow Day, the 2^nd of October we are holding an interdisciplinary symposium to discuss our findings and build our network. Speakers include core members of the project, Niamh Thornton, University of Liverpool, Jacqui McAssey, Liverpool John Moores University, Sarah Shrimpton, FaceLab, Liverpool John Moores University, Catherine Wilkinson, Edge Hill University, Samantha Wilkinson, Manchester Metropolitan University, and invited contributor, Penny Spikins, Senior Lecturer in the Archaeology of Human Origins, University of York. We will have a preview screening of the documentary on the brow with introduction by the director, Liz Greene, Liverpool John Moores University.

Symposium contact: Dr Niamh Thornton, University of Liverpool