Archive for November 2016

[ecrea] Post-doc research jobs at Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, U of Oxford

Mon Nov 14 22:47:16 GMT 2016

The Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism (RISJ) in the Department of Politics and International Relations is seeking to appoint one or more post-doctoral researchers to work for one or two years as part of a larger project aimed at analysing media developments in a sample of more than thirty countries (most of them in Europe), with a particular emphasis on digital media, news, and politics.

The RISJ is looking for individuals who can take responsibility for and deliver on distinct parts of a larger project to advance our understanding of how journalism is changing in different contexts in light of the rise of digital media. These positions are an exceptional chance to be part of one of the largest international studies of journalism and news in the world.

The purpose of the larger project is to develop a better understanding of media developments in these countries (and their implications), including the interplay between analogue and digital media and the relation between news provision and news consumption. The project output includes both academic publications and publications oriented primarily at media industry professionals, practicing journalists, and policy-maker audiences.

The individuals appointed will primarily be working with RISJ Director of Research Rasmus Kleis Nielsen as part of the wider project, which expands our ongoing, annual Reuters Institute Digital News Report (www.digitalnewsreport.org <http://www.digitalnewsreport.org>) and our wider Reuters Institute research activities. The work will primarily be focused on a combination of desk-based research, interviews, and analysis of secondary sources of data (including industry data), some of it in collaboration with others, as well as with a wider network of outside partners from both the academy and the media industry.

We are particularly interested in new colleagues who can help us develop our understanding of one of the following key areas:

• Distributed news: how are media users navigating an increasingly distributed media environment where digital intermediaries like search engines, social media, and the like play a more and more important role in terms of the discovery and distribution of news? • The business of digital news: how are media organisations developing new sources of revenue and new business models to sustain news production in a digital media environment? • The value of news: how can we better understand, quantitatively and qualitatively, the value of news from the point of view of individual news users and society as a whole, especially in light of the move to a high-choice, increasingly digital media environment? • Innovation and product development in digital news: how are legacy and/or digital-born media organisations adapting to a rapidly evolving digital environment and how can one assess the advantages and disadvantages of different approaches to innovation and development?

The posts will be based on fixed-term full-time contract terms at the Reuters Institute, 13 Norham Gardens, Oxford, and is available as soon as possible for up to 2 years. Start date and length will be agreed individually.

The successful candidates will have a completed doctorate (or evidence of imminent completion) or equivalent experience in a substantive area of political or other social science including journalism/media studies; experience in working with relevant methods including desk-based research, quantitative and qualitative data, and secondary sources in analysing digital media as well as familiarity with the existing literature and work in the field of comparative/international media research. The duties and skills required are described in more detail in the further particulars, these are available from our further particulars (below) or from the Personnel Office, Department of Politics and International Relations, e-mail: (vacancies /at/ politics.ox.ac.uk) <mailto:(vacancies /at/ politics.ox.ac.uk)>. <mailto:(vacancies /at/ politics.ox.ac.uk).>

The closing date for applications is noon, UK time on *Friday 16th December 2016*.

Interviews will take place on Monday 9th January 2016 and Tuesday 10th January 2017.