Archive for September 2016

[ecrea] cfp - Discourses of anxiety about childhood and youth across cultures

Mon Sep 12 11:43:32 GMT 2016

Please see below for a CFP Reminder for a proposed edited collection on
"Discourses of anxiety about childhood and youth across cultures".

Deadline for abstract submissions 30 September 2016.

We are inviting abstract submissions for a volume edited by Liza Tsaliki
(National and Kapodistrian University of Athens) and Despina Chronaki (Cyprus University of Technology). Some of the chapters are already
commissioned and we are proud to count Martin Barker, Gary Clapton, Sean
Hier, Lelia Green, Alan McKee, Clare Bale and Elisabeth Staksrud in our
lineup (names in no particular order).  We have had some initial talks
with Palgrave Macmillan for a book contract, who have expressed their
interest in this project. The final proposal will be drafted after the
selection of the abstract submissions.
The body of work surrounding the epistemology and therorizing of moral
panics has proliferated considerably from the nineties onwards, with
various researchers debating over the extent of its usefulness and the
limitations of the concept. Moral panics have invariably been discussed as
symptoms of a more general concern evoked by the rapid pace of social
change; or as entailing forms of displacement that detract attention from
broader concerns for which it may be more difficult to achieve wide
consensus; as better fitting the broader notion of social problems; or as
pertaining more to a discussion about risk.
Taking into account the complexity and richness of the academic dialogue,
we wish to contribute to it - especially insofar childhood and youth
cultures and the media are concerned. Guided by collections such as
Charles Krinsky’s ‘Moral Panics Over Contemporary Children and Youth’
(2008), Sean Hier’s ‘Moral Panics and the Politics of Anxiety’ (2011), and
Gary Clapton’s ‘Childhood and Youth’ (2015), with this call, we have the
ambition to interrogate further public debates about children and media
across cultures while taking fully into account the emotional baggage that
the notion of moral panics is laden with. Following Buckingham and
Strandgaard Jensen 2012, we are interested in contributions that will
explore the social construction of discourses of anxiety surrounding
childhood and youth as well as the cultural histories that framed these
discourses and their broader consequences in shaping public policy
regarding children and young people. In this respect, we are looking into
different cultural accounts of a ‘politics of consumption’ (Buckingham and
Strandgaard Jensen 2012) as reflected in and informed by popular
understandings of childhood and youth cultures. Of particular interest to
us are contributions from usually under researched cultures, such as Latin
America, India, Japan, Korea, China or the Philippines.

Please submit a 500-word abstract, a list of 5 references, and a brief bio
to Liza Tsaliki ((etsaliki /at/ media.uoa.gr)) and Despina Chronaki
((despinachronaki /at/ gmail.com)). Successful submissions will be notified by
the end of October 2016.>

--
liza tsaliki, ph.d (sussex)
associate professor