Archive for September 2016

[ecrea] CFP: Conference on Political Communication in an Age of Crisis and Change

Tue Sep 06 17:42:13 GMT 2016

Date: Monday 12 and Tuesday 13 December 2016

Location: Department of Media and Communications, LSE

Whether we consider the continuing fallout from the global economic crash of 2008, the rise of Isis, the migration crisis, the possible future trajectory of the European Union, or the Zika virus outbreak in the Americas, to name just some examples, crisis seems to be central to modern political, economic and social life. The aim of this two-day conference is to consider the state of media and communications research in a world increasingly marked by crisis, as well as rapid methodological developments. It is also that the theme will prompt attendees to think about their work in different ways and challenge the theoretical and methodological orthodoxies of the sub-discipline.

We would encourage contributors to use the idea of crisis and change to reflect on challenges facing media and political communication research. These include (but are not limited to):

-How have our understandings of media and politics been changed by recent political and economic crises?

-How do researchers in media and politics deal with events that are truly global in scope?

-How can media and politics usefully draw on and contribute to debates that span multiple disciplines?

-How useful are theoretical paradigms we have for dealing with current events?

-How do we reconcile media and politics research with grand historical and ideological narratives? Should we be trying to do so?

-What do our choices as researchers do to empower and disempower particular voices?

-Normatively, what role can media and politics research play at times of crisis?

-The methodological challenges of researching media and politics in a changing environment.

While the main theme of this conference is crisis and change, the Media & Politics Group operates an open and inclusive policy, and papers dealing with any aspect of media and politics are welcomed, as are papers from PhD students and early career researchers. Papers may focus on areas of political communication and journalism, but can also include a broader view of the political within such areas as online media, television, cinema and media arts, both factual and fictional. In addition to academic research, the conference will also welcome practice-based work in art, film and performance related to the area of media and politics.

More information here <http://www.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/events/pdf/2016/PSA-2016---CFP.pdf>.

Deadlines and submission process

-Monday 19th September 2016. Deadline for paper submission. Please send proposals for 15 minute papers to (Media.PSA2016 /at/ lse.ac.uk) <mailto:(Media.PSA2016 /at/ lse.ac.uk)>. These should include the following: title and name, institutional affiliation and address, and email address, together with a paper title and abstract of not more than 300 words. Proposers should also indicate whether or not they are current postgraduate students

-Early October. Paper proposers notified of decision by conference committee. Conference registration opens.

-Monday 5th December. Presenters submit completed papers (maximum length: 8000 words).

-Monday  12th  December.  Conference starts in London.
----