Archive for August 2016

[ecrea] Visualising the city (5th International Visual Methods Conference)

Tue Aug 09 10:39:33 GMT 2016

  *5th International Visual Methods Conference*

VISUALISING THE CITY

16 – 18 August 2017

Singapore

The phenomenon of cities is an increasingly important aspect of the
everyday life of individuals. The United Nations reports that as of 2014,
54 percent of the world’s population live in urban areas, with that
proportion rising to 66 percent by 2050. Asia and Africa are projected to
contribute the most to this growth. Cities come in, and are engaged with,
on a variety of scales, shapes and interactions. From global cities to
urban neighbourhoods to the bedrooms of our informants, from walking to
sensing to mapping the city – the ways in which we have seen, experienced
and documented cities are myriad.

In this 5th instalment of the International Visual Methods Conference, we
seek papers, presentations and performances that critically examine the
city through visual methods. However, we also welcome proposals for topics
not directly related to urban life, but nonetheless encompass visual
methods.

*Hosted in Singapore, itself a unique blend of city and state, we welcome
presenters from a wide range of disciplines*, from the arts to social
sciences to STEM subjects – and particularly encourage interdisciplinary
dialogues. Specific themes include, but are not limited to the following

    - Critical Perspectives on Visual Methods
    - Visual Methods for Urban Areas
    - Walking, Sensing and Experiencing the City and other Spaces
    - The Science and Technology of Visual Methods
    - Mapping Everyday Life
    - Visualising the Unseen
    - Visual methods as an Agent of Change in the City
    - Visual Methods in Teaching and Learning
    - Open Stream

*Submission Guidelines*

We welcome submissions in the form of either individual papers or creative
presentations (performances, posters, etc) or panels of 3-4
papers/presentations. Each paper/presentation should take no more than 15
minutes to present with 5 minutes for questions, and each panel no more
than 90 minutes in total.

Submissions may be made online at www.visualmethods.info/cfp