Archive for September 2015

[ecrea] The Birth of a Nation Symposium, Liverpool

Fri Sep 18 14:53:31 GMT 2015

Register for your free place now at the Liverpool symposium of the network 'Art, Culture and Ethics in Black and White: 100 Years of The Birth of a Nation', taking place on Friday 13th November 2015 at the International Slavery Museum, Liverpool. Entitled ‘The Birth of a Nation: New Perspectives in Art and Visual Culture,’ our focus will be on the film itself, its heritage yesterday and today and its preservation and its influence upon contemporary visual culture. We are particularly interested in exploring the film’s significance in today’s political and racial climate.

Keynote speakers:
Associate Professor Paul McEwan (Muhlenburg College, Pennsylvania) and Professor Robert Burgoyne (University of St. Andrews)

Please contact Jenny Barrett to register your place: (barrettj /at/ edgehill.ac.uk)

CALL FOR PAPERS REMINDER:
We actively welcome proposals for 20 minute papers or presentations from artists, writers and cultural commentators as well as scholars from academic disciplines including history, film, literature, media, politics and more. Deadline for proposals: Wednesday 30th September 2016. Enquiries and 200-word proposals to:

Jenny Barrett, Edge Hill University  (barrettj /at/ edgehill.ac.uk)
Ian Scott, University of Manchester  (ian.s.scott /at/ manchester.ac.uk)