Archive for September 2015

[ecrea] The Sociality of Sharing - CIM, Warwick

Tue Sep 01 08:42:51 GMT 2015

The Sociality of Sharing
Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies (CIM)
Warwick, 23rd September 2015

The ‘sharing economy’ has become a popular term to describe the
transformations in sociality under way in the information economy. But
what are the practices of sharing that are invoked here? We suggest
that they emerge at the intersection of two sets of processes: on the
hand, the socialization of the economy, and on the other, the
subsuming of social relations by an economic logic. Seen in relation
to both these tendencies, the sharing economy refers to such diverse
phenomena as new forms of ‘collaborative’ production and consumption,
the solidarity of co-workers, the publicity oriented ‘sharing' that
marks reputation-seeking social media users, and the emerging pirate
economy of fast and cheap improvisations in the global technological
commons that supplies the popular classes in the global South with
access to cell phones, computers and other informational products.

At this event, we would like to investigate these and other examples
of the sociality of sharing to ask: what sort of social relations are
created in a sharing economy where the boundaries between the economy
and everyday life are disappearing? How does the sharing economy
relate to wider transformations of sociality in contemporary culture
and in particular to the obligations and opportunities to participate
offered by digital culture And can we connect today’s theories of
sharing and the collaborative economy with the traditions of
mainstream social theory?

Confirmed speakers: Celia Lury, Adam Arvidsson, Andreas Wittel, Gary
Hall, Carolina Bandineli, Alessandro Gandini, Alberto Cossu, Kris
Erickson, Renée Ridgeway, and Trebor Scholz.

For the provisional programme and to register please see our web page:
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/cim/events/sociality_sharing/

--
Dr. Michael Dieter
Assistant Professor