Archive for September 2010

[ecrea] cfp: Transformative Works and Fan Activism

Mon Sep 06 08:26:44 GMT 2010

>CALL FOR PAPERS
>Web link=
>http://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/announcement/view/16
>
>Special issue=3A Transformative Works and Fan Activism (March 2012)
>
>Transformative Works and Fan Activism
>

>March 2012
>

>Edited by Henry Jenkins and Sangita Shresthova=2C University of Southern=
>  California
>
>How might research on fandom and participatory culture inform our unders=
>tanding of citizenship and activism=3F Cultural theorists have long spec=
>ulated about how our fantasy lives and cultural engagements might inspir=
>e broader forms of public participation=2E In his book Understanding Pop=
>ular Culture=2C for example=2C John Fiske describes one potential route =
>which might lead a young woman from fannish interest in Madonna towards =
>the resources=2C skills=2C and identities she needs to contribute to soc=
>ial change=2E Fan studies have long located localized resistances within=
>  the cultural productions and practices associated with fandom=2C lookin=
>g at how fan fiction=2C say=2C might lead to new understandings of gende=
>r=2C sexuality=2C and race=2E Yet there has been less work that examines=
>  how these imaginative practices=2C at times facilitated by digital medi=
>a=2C might lead to an enhanced sense of agency or a new vision of social=
>  change=2C or how the skills developed through fandom might be mobilized=
>  for getting =
>
>people out to vote=2C protesting public policies=2C or encouraging contr=
>ibutions and volunteerism around emergency situations=2E =
>

>In Convergence Culture=2C Henry Jenkins describes how popular culture=2C=
>  and more broadly participatory culture=2C can function as a civic playg=
>round=2C where lower stakes allow for a greater diversity of opinions th=
>an tolerated in political arenas=2E Jenkins argues=2C =22One way that po=
>pular culture can enable a more engaged citizenry is by allowing people =
>to play with power on a microlevel=2E=2E=2EPopular culture may be prepar=
>ing the way for a more meaningful public culture=2E=22 Building on these=
>  observations=2C we begin with the premise that participatory culture=2C=
>  like popular culture=2C encourages active participation=2C lively discu=
>ssion=2C and even mobilization around particular topics and issues=2C le=
>ading to civic engagement=2E Clearly=2C a fan group online is apt to be =
>far more diverse in its perspectives than a group defined around=2C say=2C=
>  a political candidate or a social issue=2E This is not to suggest that =
>fan communities do not form firm consensus perspectives that block some =
>other ideas from being he
>ard=2C but they form them around different axes=2C such as desired sets =
>of romantic partnerships between characters=2C which may or may not refl=
>ect ideological schisms=2E Our understanding of these synergies between =
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885