Archive for July 2010

[ecrea] Reading Little Britain: Comedy Matters on Contemporary Television edited by Sharon Lockyer

Wed Jul 28 09:43:20 GMT 2010

>* NEW BOOK *         * NEW BOOK *         * NEW BOOK *         * NEW BOOK *
>

>READING LITTLE BRITAIN: Comedy Matters on Contemporary Television
>
>Edited by Sharon Lockyer (I.B.Tauris, 2010)
>

>Little Britain was an instant hit when it first
>appeared on British television in 2003. Written
>and performed by Matt Lucas and David Walliams,
>this satirical character-based sketch show,
>which grew out of a radio comedy series,
>introduced audiences to an assortment of
>contemporary characters from Dafydd 'I'm the
>only gay in the village' through to Thai
>mail-order bride Ting Tong Macadangdang. It
>moved from cult-comedy status to become a
>mainstream award-winning show and from a
>national to an international television comedy
>phenomenon. Although hugely popular, Little
>Britain has been criticised for pushing the
>boundaries of taste too far, for being
>grotesquely politically incorrect, and for
>engaging in the 'humour of humiliation'.
>

>This timely and comprehensive book brings
>together for the first time critically engaging
>perspectives on Little Britain. It explores the
>appeal of Little Britain and dissects the
>controversies caused by the programme. Topics
>covered by leading writers include comedy and
>representations of gender, sexuality, race,
>disability, and social class; sketch-show
>conventions; comedy crossover from television to
>theatre; comedy catchphrases; national and
>international audience responses; and more.
>Reading Little Britain is a must-read book for scholars, students and fans.
>

>Sharon Lockyer is a Lecturer in Sociology and
>Communications at Brunel University. She
>researches in the areas of the sociology of
>mediated culture and critical humour studies.
>She is co-editor (with Michael Pickering) of
>Beyond a Joke: The Limits of Humour (Palgrave, 2005, 2009).
>

>Contents
>

>Character List
>
>Introduction: Britain, Britain, Little Britain ... (Sharon Lockyer)
>

>PART 1: Narrative, Genre and Comedic Techniques
>
>1) Analysing Little Britain as a Sketch Show (Ian Mowatt)
>
>2) Little Britain Live (Stephen Lacey)
>
>3) 'Yeah but no but yeah': A Linguistic
>Perspective on the Humour of Little Britain (Julia Snell)
>

>PART 2: Little Britain and Identity
>
>4) How Little Britain does 'Race' (Sarita Malik)
>
>5) Chavs and Chav-nots: Social Class in Little Britain (Sharon Lockyer)
>
>6) Mischief and Monstrosity': Little Britain and
>Disability (Margaret Montgomerie)
>
>7) 'The Only Feminist Critic in the Village?:
>Figuring Gender and Sexuality in Little Britain (Deborah Finding)
>

>PART 3: Little Britain and Inter/national Audiences
>
>8) 'I'm anti-Little Britain, and I'm worried I
>might start laughing': Audience Responses to Little Britain (Brett Mills)
>
>9) Little Britain: An American Perspective (Arthur Asa Berger)
>
>10) 'In English please!' Lost in Translation:
>Little Britain and Italian Audiences (Delia Chiaro)
>

>Postscript: Little Britain USA (Kim Akass)
>
>Film, TV and Radio Guide

> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885