Archive for July 2010

[ecrea] Call For Papers: Moving Image Review and Art Journal (MIRAJ)

Mon Jul 26 10:18:14 GMT 2010

>Call For Papers: Moving Image Review and Art Journal (MIRAJ)
>
>The Moving Image Review and Art Journal (MIRAJ)
>is the first peer-reviewed publication devoted
>to artists film and video, and its contexts. It
>is published twice a year in print by Intellect
>Books in collaboration with the University of
>the Arts London. MIRAJ offers a widely
>distributed international forum for debates
>surrounding all forms of artists moving image and media artworks.
>
>The editors invite contributions from art
>historians and critics, film and media scholars,
>curators, and, not least, practitioners. We seek
>pieces that offer theories of the present moment
>but also writings that propose historical re-readings. We welcome essays that:
>
>·     re-view canonical works and texts, or
>identify ruptures in the standard histories of artists film and video;
>
>·     discuss the development of media arts,
>including the history of imaging technologies,
>as a strand within the history of art;
>
>·     address issues of the ontology and
>medium-specificity of film, video and new media,
>or the entanglement of the moving image in a post-medium condition;
>
>·     attempt to account for the rise of
>projected and screen-based images in
>contemporary art, and the social, technological,
>or political-economic effects of this proliferation;
>
>·     investigate interconnections between
>moving images and still images; the role of sound;
>
>·     the televisual; and the interaction of the
>moving image with other elements including
>technology, human presence and the installation environment;
>
>·     analyse para-cinematic or extra-cinematic
>works to discover what these tell us about
>cinematic properties such as temporal
>progression or spectatorial immersion or mimetic representation;
>
>·     explore issues of subjectivity and spectatorship;
>
>·     investigate the spread of moving images
>beyond the classical spaces of the cinema and
>galleries, across multiple institutions, sites and delivery platforms;
>
>·     consider the diverse uses of the moving
>image in art: from political activism to pure
>sensory and aesthetic pleasure, from reportage
>to documentary testimony, from performativity to
>social                    networking;
>
>·     suggest new methods of theorizing and writing the moving image.
>
>We welcome work that intersects with other
>academic disciplines and artistic practices. We
>encourage writing that is lucid without compromising intellectual rigour.
>
>We publish the following types of writing:
>scholarly articles (50008000 words); opinion
>pieces or polemics (1000 words); feature
>articles and interviews (3000 words); reviews of
>books, exhibitions, and events (15003000
>words). Only scholarly articles will be blind
>peer-reviewed.  All writings should propose a
>central idea or thesis argued through a discussion of the work under review.
>
>All submissions should be in English and adhere
>to the Intellect Style Guide
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885