Archive for July 2010

[ecrea] Call for Submissions: Media, Labor, Mobility -- Media Fields Journal

Fri Jul 23 14:06:10 GMT 2010

>Call for Submissions:
>
>MEDIA FIELDS JOURNAL ISSUE 2
>MEDIA, LABOR, MOBILITY
>
>Submission Deadline: October 10, 2010.
>
>This issue of Media Fields Journal brings together interdisciplinary
>approaches to media, labor, and mobility. We invite manuscripts, art
>projects, and interviews that foreground the dynamic between the
>global circulation of media texts and the global dispersion of media
>production (the "new international division of cultural labor"). In
>popular and scholarly discourse on media, information technology, and
>globalization, mobility is often celebrated as a positive, enabling
>force without sufficient regard for material concerns and human
>subjects. Yet the idea that information and images move ever more
>freely across borders elides the fact that workers' movements and
>lives are increasingly regulated at multiple nodes, as illustrated by
>the recent, widely publicized case of suicides committed by workers at
>Chinese factories manufacturing goods for Apple, Dell, Sony, and other
>transnational electronics corporations. Scholars in fields such as
>cinema and media studies, anthropology, sociology, and communication
>have addressed this elision by foregrounding the material realities of
>mediated mobilities through work on offshore digital labor,
>geographical centers of digital activity and production ("the global
>city," "media capital"), the global export of electronic waste, and
>material infrastructures of media piracy.
>
>In this issue, we aim to address questions of global worker mobility
>and immobility in relation to audiovisual media practices. For
>example, in what ways can media texts or discursive strategies mask or
>reveal transnational processes and sites of labor? How can the spaces
>and speeds of film, video, and other audiovisual media illuminate
>varieties of spatial and temporal disjuncture such as those
>experienced by "digital nomads" or formed in diasporic media cultures?
>How might digital labor facilitate the movement of media products and
>information, but not necessarily of laboring bodies? How do new
>regimes of creative production simultaneously expand and constrict
>workers' lived experiences?
>
>We seek essays of 1500­2500 words, digital art projects, and audio or
>video interviews exploring possible relations between media, labor,
>and mobility. We encourage approaches to this topic from scholars in
>cinema and media studies, anthropology, art and art history,
>communication, geography, sociology, and other fields.
>
>Potential topics for articles, art projects, or interviews include:
>
>- The spatial dispersion/outsourcing of different tasks associated
>with media production
>- Labor and mobile media technologies (cellular phones, MP3 players,
>GPS devices, etc.)
>- Traces of, or reflexivity about, production in media texts and technologies
>- Migrant workers and media
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885