Archive for July 2010

[ecrea] CFP: Circulations and Interdisciplinarity: Limits and Problems of TV Studies Me thodologies

Tue Jul 20 22:26:53 GMT 2010

>S.E.R.I.E.S.
>
>(Scholars Exchanging and Researching on
>International Entertainment Series- International Network)
>

>Call for Papers
>
>Circulations and Interdisciplinarity:
>
>Limits and Problems of TV Studies Methodologies
>

>Venue: Birkbeck, University of London
>
>Date:    22 October (Malet Street)  - 23 October (Clore Lecture Theatre)
>

>Keynote Speaker: Professor John Ellis, Royal Holloway University of London
>

>Following the inaugural event held in Paris this
>year, S.E.R.I.E.S. invites participants for a
>two-day workshop held at Birkbeck, University of
>London.  The aim is to facilitate further
>discussion, propose research topics and develop
>methodologies.  The emphasis will be placed upon
>process rather than completed projects.
>

>Proposals are invited for short 10 minute
>presentations, identifying a research question
>and proposed methodology, problems and solutions.
>
>Papers will be welcomed on any aspect of the following:
>

>    * Crossover between
> film/theatre/literature/art/TV (how stories get
> told  adaptation/translation/circulation of fictions and seriality).
>    * Translations and transitions:
>        * national to local/regional to local (reception and reactions),
>        * nation to nation (performance
> traditions, cultural myths, storytelling
> forms--reception and reactions). Imported
> series on domestic TV, and French visions of foreign fictions,
>        * language adaptation (dubbing,
> subtitling; linguistic, technological,
> aesthetic, institutional and media
> problems).Travelling narratives -
> importations/exportations, translating cultures.
>    * Representations of professions/professionals (law, medicine).
>    * Histories of genres.
>

>Proposals of not more than 100 words for 10
>minute presentations should be emailed to
><mailto:(janetandkim /at/ hotmail.com)>(janetandkim /at/ hotmail.com)
>

>Deadline: 15 September 2010.
>

>Organisers:
>
>Dr. Janet McCabe, Birkbeck, University of London
>
>Kim Akass, Royal Holloway, University of London
>
>Prof. Barbara Villez, University Paris 8,
>Laboratoire Communications et politique, CNRS

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885