Archive for July 2005

[eccr] cfp: Mobile Phone Culture special issue

Mon Jul 04 06:42:25 GMT 2005

>Call for papers
>special 'Mobile Phone Culture' issue of
>Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies (20.3, 2006)
>edited by Dr Gerard Goggin ((g.goggin /at/ uq.edu.au)), Centre for Critical and
>Cultural Studies
>University of Queensland, Australia
>
>In barely two decades since their commercial launch in the early 1980s,
>mobile telecommunications have now outstripped their fixed-phone
>counterparts, being used by over a billion people worldwide. Mobile phones
>play an indispensable and distinctive role in contemporary societies,
>woven into the transformation of work, leisure, relationships, family,
>sexualities, glocalization, identity formation, embodiment, and fashion
>and implicated in class, race, gender, and disability relations. There is
>now widespread interest in mobile phones among media producers, policy
>makers, industry, user groups, artists, and educators. And a vibrant,
>interdisciplinary body of work on social aspects of mobiles is now also
>emerging.
>
>Against this backdrop this special collection aims to focus attention on
>inquiry into mobile phone culture, and to promote systematic consideration
>of this important topic by cultural and media studies scholars.
>
>We welcome submissions on topics such as (but not restricted to):
>
>* theories of mobile phone culture
>* the relationship of mobile phone culture to general accounts of culture
>and media;
>* mobile phone culture and the question of technology
>* the domestication and cultural shaping of mobile in different countries,
>cultures, and regions;
>* cross-cultural approaches to understanding mobile phone culture;
>* the language of mobile phone culture;
>* cultural representation of mobiles;
>* case studies of use and consumption of mobile devices;
>* mobiles and/in bodies;
>* exploration of new cultural forms in mobiles (ringtones, text messaging,
>soap opera, short video and film, art, television)
>* licit and illicit customising and modification of mobiles
>* mobiles and cultural politics;
>* mobiles and cultural policy;
>* cultural histories of mobiles;
>* new mobile technologies (such as camera and video phones, phones as
>audio devices, Blackberries and PDAs, third-generation and
>fourth-generation mobiles, mobile Internet) and identities;
>* mobile commons
>* the implications of mobiles for concepts and methods in cultural and
>media studies.
>Deadline for abstracts is 31 August, 2005.
>Deadline for final submission of full papers is 31 December 2005.
>
>Potential contributors are encouraged to familiarize themselves with
>previous issues of the Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies
>and to discuss their ideas with the special issue editor:
>
>Dr Gerard Goggin
>ARC Australian Research Fellow, Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info