Archive for June 2005

[eccr] CfP: First International Conference on ICT and Development (ICTD2006)

Sun Jun 12 21:46:11 GMT 2005

>=====================
>CALL FOR PAPERS
>=====================
>
>First International Conference on Information and
>Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD2006)
>
>May 25-26, 2006
>Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
>http://sims.berkeley.edu/ictd2006
>
>The past decade has witnessed an explosion in projects
>that apply information and
>communication technologies (ICT) to support
>socio-economic development.
>Every sector is involved ­ governments, academia,
>small start-ups, large
>corporations, inter-governmental organizations, and
>non-profits and non-
>governmental organizations.  In spite of the
>tremendous energy and resources
>behind these projects, scientifically sound research
>in this space is just beginning to
>emerge.  What is the actual impact of ICT projects?
>What novel technology is
>required to meet development needs?  What
>methodologies lead to success or
>failure of a project?
>
>The goal of the ICTD conference is to provide a forum
>for academic researchers
>working with ICT applied to development.  The
>conference will be scientifically
>rigorous and multi-disciplinary ­ papers reporting
>high-quality original research are
>solicited.  Submitted papers will be subjected to
>double-blind peer review, and a full
>proceedings will be published at the time of the
>conference.  (Best papers, as
>selected by a subset of the program committee, will be
>published in a special
>edition of the journal, Information Technologies and
>International Development.)
>
>The conference will bring together researchers in both
>the social and technical sciences, with anticipated
>representation from anthropology, sociology,
>economics, political science,
>computer science, electrical engineering, industrial
>design, and so on.  We expect
>this to be the first of an ongoing series of
>conferences to occur every one or two
>years, and moving from country to country.
>
>For the purposes of this conference, the term ICT
>will comprise computing
>devices (e.g., PCs, PDAs, sensor networks),
>technologies for voice and data
>connectivity, the Internet, and related technologies.
>Application domains include,
>but are not restricted to, education, agriculture,
>healthcare, poverty alleviation,
>general communication, and governance.  Papers
>considering novel design, new
>technology, project assessment, policy impact,
>content, social issues around ICT
>for development, and so forth will be considered.
>Well-presented negative results
>from which generalizable conclusions can be drawn are
>also sought.
>
>Important Dates (exact dates to be updated on
>website):
>
>* Deadline for abstracts and intent to submit:
>October 21, 2005
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info