Archive for June 2005

[eccr] Media and Identity in Asia conference

Thu Jun 09 08:48:57 GMT 2005

>Media-Asia Research Group 2006 Conference
>
>Media and Identity in Asia
>
>Conference Theme
>The debate over 'media/cultural imperialism' of the
>west has become
>complicated in the last two decades by the emergence
>of media
>technologies which allow messages and images, on the
>one hand, to be
>instantly broadcast across the globe; and on the
>other, to be produced
>relatively cheaply for narrow-casting to sub-national
>groups both within
>and across national boundaries. If the 20th century
>was the era of the
>nation being imagined in print and broadcast media,
>then in the 21st
>century that imagination maybe under challenge by new
>technologies that
>enable the imagination of new politico-cultural
>topographies. The
>purpose of this conference is to address the shape of
>national, local,
>ethnicised and gendered identities being formulated by
>and in the media
>in Asia in the 21st century.
>
>Curtin University of Technology, Sarawak, Malaysia
>15-16 February 2006
>Please go to the conference website:
>http://mediaandidentity.curtin.edu.my/index.htm
>
>Media-Asia Research Group
>2006 Conference
>
>Media and Identity in Asia
>
>Curtin University of Technology, Sarawak, Malaysia
>15-16 February 2006
>
>The Call for Papers follows:
>
>You are invited to submit a presentation proposal
>based on the
>conference theme to the Media-Asia Research Group's
>2006 Conference to
>be held in Miri (Sarawak, Malaysia) in February 2006.
>
>The Media-Asia Research Group is based at Curtin
>University of
>Technology, Perth, Western Australia. It has members
>from Australia and
>Asia dedicated to the advancement of interdisciplinary
>research on the
>media in Asia. This conference is jointly organised
>by Curtin
>University of Technology, Perth and Curtin University
>of Technology,
>Sarawak, Malaysia.
>
>Conference Theme
>The debate over 'media/cultural imperialism' of the
>west has become
>complicated in the last two decades by the emergence
>of media
>technologies which allow messages and images, on the
>one hand, to be
>instantly broadcast across the globe; and on the
>other, to be produced
>relatively cheaply for narrow-casting to sub-national
>groups both within
>and across national boundaries. If the 20th century
>was the era of the
>nation being imagined in print and broadcast media,
>then in the 21st
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info