Archive for June 2005

[eccr] Cinema, War and a Society of Spectacle (8th-9th June)

Mon Jun 06 15:05:38 GMT 2005

>Members may be interested in the following event, at which fellow network
>members are presenting (programme below): In particular, there is a panel
>on Media and War at 14.00-16.00 on the Thursday.
>
>Cinema, War and a Society of Spectacle
>8-9 June 2005
>CRASSH, 17 Mill Lane, Cambridge, CB2 1RX
>
>For more information visit the website:
><http://www.crassh.cam.ac.uk>http://www.crassh.cam.ac.uk
>
>The Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
>(CRASSH), in association with the Cambridge University Film Seminar
>
>This conference will interrogate the interplay between the events of war
>and their representations in film and video. While certain representations
>suppress the tensions and ambiguities contributing to a war's emergence
>and its devastation, thinkers such as Virilio, Baudrillard, Zizek and
>others have turned a reflexive gaze upon our voyeuristic fascination with
>war. A search for total visibility through film and attention to
>instantaneous fragments of 'real time' characterize current
>representations of war in screen media. But the thoroughness of our
>cultural saturation provokes questions concerning the dangers of such
>image assimilation. To what extent is our gaze aligned with insidious
>modes and bodies of power that participate in games of surveillance and
>paranoid rationalisations? How and why do images of destruction, which are
>disseminated at the speed with which weapons are engaged, enthral and
>mesmerize? How are these images a means to identity creation, at the cost
>of certain exclusions and inclusions? What is at stake in the expansion of
>a 'society of spectacle'?
>
>Enquiries about the academic content of this conference should be sent to
>the convenor, Nadine Boljkovac  at (nrb34 /at/ cam.ac.uk)
>Please direct any administrative enquiries to (events /at/ crassh.cam.ac.uk)
>
>Programme
>
>Please note this programme is provisional and subject to change. Please
>check back for updates.
>
>Wednesday 8 June
>13.30-14.00
>Registration
>
>14.00-14.20
>Welcome remarks by Nadine Boljkovac and Ferzina Banaji
>
>14.20-15.20
>Keynote Address
>Did Pontecorvo Show It All?
>Charles Jones (Director, Centre for Latin American Studies, University of
>Cambridge)
>Chair: Paul Julian Smith (Cambridge)
>
>15.20-15.45
>Tea and Coffee
>
>15.45-17.45
>Panel 1 - National Cinemas
>
>Lebanese Cinema and the (Re)definition of War Memory
>Lina Khatib (University of London)
>
>The Return of the Battle of Algiers
>Sylvie Durmelat (Georgetown University)
>
>Locating the Absent Subject in the 'War on Terror': Towards a 'Political
>Poetics' in Samira and Mohsen Makhmalbaf's New Iranian Cinema
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info