Archive for May 2005

[eccr] CFP: The Future of Chinese Cinema

Fri May 20 06:45:32 GMT 2005

>-Apologies for cross-postings-
>
>Call for Papers: "The Future of Chinese Cinema"
>1-3 April 2006, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
>
>Convenors:
>
>Dr. Olivia Khoo, School of Media, Film and Theatre, UNSW
>
>Dr. Sean Metzger, Department of English and Theatre, Duke University, USA
>

>Confirmed participants include:
>Rey Chow, Andrew W. Mellon Professor of the Humanities at Brown
>University, USA.
>Chris Berry, Professor of Film and Television Studies at Goldsmiths
>College, UK.
>

>The School of Media, Film and Theatre, and the Faculty of Arts and Social
>Sciences at the University of New South Wales, will be hosting an
>international symposium to explore the future of transnational Chinese cinema.
>

>After the devastation of the Asian economic crisis, the uncertainty of the
>Hong Kong handover and the events at Tiananmen Square in 1989, the period
>of the 1990s and beyond has seen the emergence of a number of fresh new
>works from the region's filmmakers. China's entry into the World Trade
>Organization in 2001 has ushered in a whole set of film industry reforms,
>including the major step of allowing independent film companies to produce
>films no longer requiring affiliation with any official government studio.
>Several new independent production and distribution companies have
>appeared, aiming to compete with State-owned film studios. A new urban
>cinema is emerging in the PRC and there is also a thriving documentary
>scene for the first time. The film industries in Taiwan and Hong Kong have
>also been greatly affected by the reforms taking place in the PRC,
>especially as the last decade has witnessed a strengthening of the
>connections and exchanges taking place between the Mainland, Hong Kong and
>Taiwan (in terms of personnel, co-financing, and the use of locations).
>These changes in the filmmaking climate in Greater China over the last few
>years have meant that the landscape of contemporary Chinese culture, and
>its cinema, is changing.
>

>In this symposium, we will investigate the specifics of these changes and
>connect them to the historical antecedents that have preceded and enabled
>these shifts. Such historicization requires work not only on contemporary
>Chinese cinema, but also on the particular movements of actors and
>directors in the larger Chinese diaspora that have laid the foundations
>for China's now more obvious transnational cinematic practices. How, for
>example, did the movement of actors, directors and producers in the
>previous decades create a network for the emergence of such a cinema? In
>what ways does the cinematic industry prior to 1949's transition to state
>ownership anticipate the cinema of today? What has been the role of
>Chinese diasporic communities in creating both the notion and actual
>practice of transnational Chinese cinema? This symposium will bring
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info