Archive for May 2005

[eccr] WACC Newsletter - new issue of Media and Gender Monitor

Thu May 05 11:39:16 GMT 2005

>A full new issue of MEDIA & GENDER MONITOR is now online on the WACC
>website: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =
>"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
>

>This issue focuses on the Global Media Monitoring Project - GMMP 2005 -
>and features contributions from GMMP participants worldwide. GMMP was born
>out of the WACC 1994 international Bangkok conference on "Women Empowering
>Communication". Following the first GMMP, organised by MediaWatch, Canada
>in 1995, the WACC Women's Programme co-ordinated a second GMMP in 2000.
>Since then, from the grassroots to policy-making circles, GMMP has become
>a tool for change. With an even larger number of organisations and
>countries participating, an extensively revised quantitative and
>qualitative analysis, its own website
>(<http://www.globalmediamonitoring.org/>http://www.globalmediamonitoring.org),
>and national and regional as well as a global reports, GMMP 2005 is set to
>be an even more exciting and ambitious global project than ever
>before.GMMP 2005 is supported by the Open Society Institute, United
>Methodist Church, USA and FinChurchAid, Finland.
>

>SEE THE FULL INDEX OF THIS ISSUE HERE:
>
><http://www.wacc.org.uk/wacc/publications/media_and_gender_monitor/issue_16>http://www.wacc.org.uk/wacc/publications/media_and_gender_monitor/issue_16
>

>PROMOTING GENDER EQUITY IN NEWS MEDIA: GMMP 2005
>

>On 16th February 2005, women and men in 102 countries monitored the day's
>news on TV, radio and in newspapers as part of the third ever Global Media
>Monitoring Project (GMMP). GMMP 2005 is a grassroots media monitoring,
>research and advocacy project which aims to promote the fair and balanced
>representation of women and men in news media worldwide.
>

><http://www.wacc.org.uk/wacc/publications/media_and_gender_monitor/issue_16/promoting_gender_equity_in_news_media_gmmp_2005>http://www.wacc.org.uk/wacc/publications/media_and_gender_monitor/issue_16/promoting_gender_equity_in_news_media_gmmp_2005
>

>CHANGING THE RULE THAT MALE POLITICIANS AND FEMALE NUDITY SELL THE NEWS
>Aleksandar Zivanovic, Journalist, Helsinki Citizens' Assembly Banja Luka
>

>With a lot of enthusiasm, nine activists from the non-profit organisations
>United Women and Helsinki Citizens' Assembly Banja Luka prepared a plan of
>action and all the necessary materials, although we already knew what the
>results would be. It was really exciting to be a part of a mass movement
>that is working to achieve the same goal globally. Learning the new
>methodology for media monitoring and the examples from GMMP 5 years ago
>was also very interesting. Having read the media analysis by the local
>government from 2002 and reminded by the media monitoring Helsinki
>Citizens' Assembly Banja Luka conducted in 2004, we knew the
>representation of women and men in the media would reflect the reality of
>public and particularly political life.

> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info