Archive for July 2024

[Commlist] New book: Containment: Technologies of Hlding, Filtering, Leaking

Sun Jul 14 11:42:08 GMT 2024

The editors are happy to alert ACS subscribers to the publication of a new book, /Containment: Technologies of Holding, Filltering, Leaking/, available in open access pdf or in print at _https://meson.press/books/containment/ <https://meson.press/books/containment/>_. Coedited by the leading German/Austrian feminist and media theorist Marie-Luise Angerer (now deceased), along with Ingrid Richardson, Hannah Schmedes and Zoë Sofoulis, this international collection will be of interest to scholars and students of media and cultural studies, STS, infrastructure studies, philosophy of technology, and anyone concerned with how technologies shape us and the worlds we experience.

Production has been generously supported by the University of Potsdam and the Brandenburg Centre for Media Studies (ZeM), where Prof. Angerer was based, and by the meson press collective.
Back cover blurb:
Containers are ubiquitous and inescapable. From handbags
to houses, barrels to databases, captivating gameworlds
to the “bag of stars” that Ursula Le Guin calls the universe,
containers furnish infrastructures for living and action
while extending our capacities for managing things across
space and time. They not only give shape to our lifeworlds:
they form and transform our bodies and being.
The chapters in /Containment: Technologies of Holding,/
/Filtering, Leaking /traverse technologies, bodies, ontologies
and imaginaries, reflecting on what different container
technologies, containment strategies, and container
metaphors tell us about ourselves and how we relate to
our worlds. With common reference to Zoë Sofia’s (2000)
foundational essay on container technologies,
contributors draw on media and cultural studies, social
history, architecture, and postdualistic approaches in
philosophy and social science to explore liminalities
of containment both as and beyond holding.
TABLE OF CONTENTS

Introduction,  p. 7
Ingrid Richardson and Zoë Sofoulis

FROM CONTAINERS TO CONTAINMENT
Chapter 1. Container Technologies, p. 19
Zoë Sofia (Reprint of Sofia 2000)

Chapter 2.  Containers, Retrospectively, p. 41
Zoë Sofoulis

Chapter 3. Container Ontologies, p. 59
Chris Otter

HOLDING

Chapter 4. Holding and Being Held: Handbags as Container
Technologies, p. 75
Meredith Jones

Chapter 5. Paradoxical Containment: The Double Externalization of
Packaging, and the Overextension of the Metasystemic
Prosthesis, p. 91
Paul Graham Raven

Chapter 6. Haunted by the Future Eve: Witchy Infrastructures and the Broken
Machine, p. 109
Hannah Schmedes

FILTERING

Chapter 7. High Rise Living in the CBD: Container Subjectivities, p. 127
Hélène Frichot and Helen Runting

Chapter 8.  Contained: Sites of Animal Confinement, p. 143
Dinesh Wadiwel
Chapter 9. The (Un)containable Ontology of Games, p. 151
Ingrid Richardson

LEAKING

Chapter 10. Containment and Decontainment of Digital Voice Assistants, p. 165
Yolande Strengers and Zoë Sofoulis

Chapter 11. Vexed Intimacies: Attuning to Remains in Encounters with
Datasets, p. 185
Daniela Agostinho and Nanna Bonde Thylstrup

Chapter 12. ] “Self”-Containment on Messy Grounds, p. 203
Marie-Luise Angerer

Author biographies, p. 217

/Further inquiries, including for review copies, please contact Zoe on (z.sofoulis /at/ westernsydney.edu.au)./

Zoë Sofoulis | Adjunct Fellow
Institute for Culture and Society
T: +61 (0)414 593 930 | M: (z.sofoulis /at/ westernsydney.edu.au)

westernsydney.edu.au