Archive for September 2020

[Commlist] Martin Buber's Philosophy of Communication: Seminar Series, School of Advanced Study

Tue Sep 29 10:48:39 GMT 2020

Martin Buber’s Philosophy of Communication

An interdisciplinary seminar series spanning communication theory, media studies, philosophy, German studies and social theory, hosted by the Ernst Bloch Centre, Institute of Modern Languages Research, School of Advanced Study, University of London.

Martin Buber's dialogical philosophy contains a fundamental reflection on the nature of human communicative relations and how they can be participated in, interpreted, and studied. In this seminar series we will examine Buber's main writings, focusing on his claim that the dialogical I-Thou relation differs fundamentally from social relations, that it can only be understood on its own terms, that it exists in communicative speech (even though not always words are exchanged in concrete I-Thou instances) and that it resists all attempts at objectification. We will bring this claim into conversation with other approaches to understanding human relations and the nature of the social, e.g. Marxism, feminism, phenomenology, psychoanalysis, communication theory and contemporary social philosophy. We will ask how interhuman communication and the social are related. Could a future-oriented, utopian horizon to human relationality emerge as the mediation between the interhuman and the social? How might this inform a contemporary assessment of Buber’s work? We’ll work with primary texts by Buber and others, as well as with literary and first-person accounts of relationality and dialogue.

Convenors:

Johan Siebers (Middlesex, SAS), Vic Seidler (Goldsmiths, Leo Baeck College), Federico Filauri (SAS)

Seminars in Semester One will take place on Mondays, from 16:00-18:00 GMT via Zoom, on 5, 19 October; 2, 16, 30 November; 14 December 2020. Dates for Semester Two will be announced later in the year

Registration: https://modernlanguages.sas.ac.uk/ernst-bloch-centre-german-thought/martin-bubers-philosophy-communication-2020-21

Please register in advance to obtain the zoom link, further seminar information and a reading list. Registration is free.

For further information, contact (johan.siebers /at/ sas.ac.uk)