Archive for September 2020

[Commlist] New Book - Heavy Metal Music in Argentina: In Black We Are Seen

Thu Sep 17 11:59:28 GMT 2020

Intellect is pleased to announce that /*Heavy Metal Music in Argentina: In Black We Are Seen <https://www.intellectbooks.com/heavy-metal-music-in-argentina>*/, edited by Emiliano Scaricaciottoli, Nelson Varas-Díaz and Daniel Nevárez Araujo, is available in hardback and ebook.

An interdisciplinary study of Argentina’s heavy metal subculture between 1983 and 2002 – a period in which metal music withstood the onslaught of military dictatorship and survived the neoliberal policies of bourgeois democracy – /Heavy Metal Music in Argentina/ is the first collection of critical essays to be published in English on Argentine metal music, and explores heavy metal music as a catalyst for social change and site for engaging political reflection.

Edited by leading researchers in the field and written by members of the Group for Interdisciplinary Research on Argentinian Heavy Metal (GIIHMA) in a communal approach to scholarship, the book echoes the working-class voices that marked early post-dictatorship metal music in Argentina. The collection addresses the music’s rituals, circulations, cultural products, lyrics and intertexts, allowing readers to rethink the genre’s place within Argentinean politics and economics.

Suitable for scholars and students across a range of disciplines, as well as general readers with an interest in the genre, /Heavy Metal Music in Argentina/ is a fascinating work of scholarship and a groundbreaking contribution to the emerging field of global metal studies.

*_
_*
*_Table of Contents_*

*Preface to the Second Edition *
/Group for Interdisciplinary Research on Argentinian Heavy Metal (GIIHMA)
/
*Foreword *
/Emiliano Scaricaciottoli/

*Translator’s Note*
/Juan Manuel López Baio

/*Introduction: A Window into Heavy Metal Scholarship in the Global South*
/Nelson Varas-Díaz, Daniel Nevárez Araújo, and Emiliano Scaricaciottoli/

*1.* Heavy Metal as a Subculture in Argentina: Identity and Resistance – /Gustavo Torreiro/

*2.* Genre Violence: Argentinean Heavy Metal in the Music Market – /Luciano Scarrone/

*3.* Heavenly Hosts and Other Demons: Reflections Concerning a Difficult and Transversal Relationship in the History of Our Heavy Music – /Gito Minore/

*4.* Walkabout, Just Walking about for the Sake of Walking: The Journey as an Ethos in the Poetics of Ricardo Iorio – /Manuel Bernal and Diego Caballero/

*5.* Passion and Ethics: A Space for Voice and Tradition in Iorio’s Lyrics – /Juan Ignacio Pisano/

*6.* The Reason Behind My Writing: Another Day of Being – /Ezequiel Alasia/

*7.* /Piedra Libre/: Referential Tensions in Argentinean Heavy Metal Lyrics Since the Political Crisis of 2001/2002 – /Emiliano Scaricaciottoli/

*Notes on Contributors
*

Please visit our website for more information:
www.intellectbooks.com/heavy-metal-music-in-argentina <http://www.intellectbooks.com/heavy-metal-music-in-argentina>