Archive for September 2020

[Commlist] Fantasy/Animation editorial team

Mon Sep 14 11:59:48 GMT 2020

/Fantasy-Animation.org/ is looking to expand its current editorial team, and is seeking expressions of interest from colleagues looking to increase their academic citizenship duties.

Founded in May 2018, /Fantasy-Animation.org/ is run by Dr. Alexander Sergeant (University of Portsmouth) and Dr. Christopher Holliday (King’s College London). The site consists of a weekly blog and biweekly podcast, both of which attract a broad audience of academics, creative practitioners, students and fans. The blog has been featured by /The Conversation/ and the /BBC/, whilst the podcast has frequently appeared in the Top 100 for /Apple Podcasts/, with past guests including Richard Dyer (Professor Emeritus at King’s College London & St. Andrew’s), Shaun Gunner (Chairman of the Tolkien Society), Neil Brand (silent film composer/BBC presenter), Simran Hans (Observer film critic) and Andrew Whitehurst (Oscar-winning VFX coordinator on /Ex Machina/).

The following volunteer roles are being created to help meet the demands of our expanding readership and listenership, and should suit colleagues from a range of professional backgrounds, including (but not limited to) film studies, media studies and creative practice. As well as established HE professionals, we strongly encourage applications from early career academics (MA/PhD) looking to gain experience in the following areas:

-Book Review Editor (x1) + Film/TV Review Editor (x1)

oResponsibilities include liaising with publishers/distributors, commissioning new reviews, peer-reviewing/editing articles, working with contributors and promoting/disseminating new posts on social media/other online networks

-Digital Communications Officer (x1)

oResponsibilities include helping to coordinate our long-term communications strategy online, building contacts on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit) with our various HE and professional stakeholders, as well as providing a consistent, academic voice across our online platforms.

Each of the three roles listed is expected to require a commitment of no more than 1-2 hours per week. Interested parties should be able to demonstrate a familiarity and understanding of contemporary academic debates surrounding fantasy and/or animation, as well as provide evidence of prior experiences that might assist them in the advertised roles. The positions will initially be appointed for a period of September 2020 to September 2021,  at which time there will be a mutual review.

Interested parties should get in touch via email ((fananimresearch /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(fananimresearch /at/ gmail.com)>), including a CV and brief cover letter detailing your interest and suitability for the role by *_Friday 18^th  September_*. Informal inquiries can also be directed to the same address.